Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me gauge the value of this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Dec 11, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    For some reason, I got the urge to get a fretless jazz bass, made by fender.

The bass is MIM, and it has a brown sunburst finish.

there is like, on ding on the side of it, but it isn't showing the wood...the ding isn't that bad, just something i did when i was hanging it back up onto the wall.

could someone tell me the estimated value of this axe if I wanted to trade it in, or sell it to compensate for the price of a new standard jazz bass (fretted)?

thanks in advance for any information :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIM Fenders tend to depreciate pretty quickly. I think it would be worth $250 -$300.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Being a Fender it would be easy just to pick up a fretted neck as well. Either off of another Fender or something by Warmoth or Moses or whoever.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buying an official fender neck can run you 50-75% of the cost of a MIM Fender; not wise.

5. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    being my luck, i would probably go to the store with it, and they would try and offer me like, a 100$ store credit or something. lol

thanks for the info, btw =)

6. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i've already thought about that =P it ISN'T wise.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stores generally give you about Half of what you payed, if you were to trade it in straight. Generally it is not worth it at all.

8. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    what would you suggest?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would try to sell it here first, for a set price. If you dont get a bite here, are you familiar with ebay?

10. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    not at all dude, what about shipping? i would be lost as to how to ship a guitar...

:eek:

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Basically get a box that fits, add as much padding as possible; its best if the bass cant even move inside the box. Usually people loosen the strings during shipment so that if the neck is bumped the wrong way, it wont be damaged.