1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me get a HI-FI sound, out of my Carvin :/

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stephenleejp, Feb 16, 2013.

1. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I received my Icon about a month ago, threw on some ss strings and no hifi. I get lots of other cool tones, but not my gospel-hifi sound, what gives?

I have the dual hbuckers, ss low profile frets, no piezo bridge, and active/passive.

Help me please...

Attached Files:

2. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    That ought to be the hi-fi tone monster from hell... what do you have in mind when you say "hi-fi"?

My Bunny 6 FL has the MM humbucker at the bridge and an H50A stacked humbucker at the neck position. I''ll describe the tones with hopefully terms that indicate actual sounds that may help? Strings are D'addario rounds:

- neck PU only: Fender Precision to an absolute T
    - bridge PU only: a flatter sounding Bunny Brunel sound but with a slightly sharper attack.
    - both PU's: a more pinched version of the bridge PU soloed, almost like a jazz bass with both PU's on full but with a more velvety, fuller sound in the mids.

I'd say the both PU's sound is what I'd call "hi-fi". If I were playing blues/gospel, etc., I'd run the neck PU by itself all night.

LS

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You didn't buy an MTD or a Wyn bass, everyone knows all the gospel guys play those.....LOL

4. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Dude! I know! I've been hoping a mid bump and some steel strings would do the trick. Lol

What about different pickups?

5. Agreed. Those pickups with that preamp should be able to shatter wine glasses.

Out of curiosity, what is your signal path after the bass and what amp/cab?

6. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    What's the sound you're after, what do you mean by "hi fi"? I might have a different idea of what that is than you do.

Do you mean a chocolately P bass sound like Duck Dunn or ?

LS

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Greetings from another VBer TBer! If the pups & pre harness are anything like my Bromberg 5, that bad boy should be walkin' the dog in the hi-fi department. Feel free to PM me and we can do a side-by-side with your rig, my rig, whatever. Note: my Brom 5 is sporting soapbar single-coils.

Riis

8. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I've tried every signal path I have.
    Bass > GB 6.0 > headphones, daw, ampeg 210, and various foh mixes.

9. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    By hi fi I mean a mix of piano tone and sterile

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    OK. Upgrade the pickups and/or the onboard preamp.

For pickups, look at SGD N3 wide-aperture humbuckers, Delano SBC 5 HE humbuckers, Nordstrand Dual-Coil humbuckers, etc. For preamps, look at Audere 4-band w/"Z mode" switch, Glockenklang 3-band, Mike Pope Flexcore 4-band, etc.

If you want a Carvin to sound truly hi-fi, you've gotta upgrade to truly hi-fi components - there are no shortcuts.

C'mon, it's not that hard! :eyebrow:

MM

11. This might be just me, but "ampeg 210" just does not scream 'hi-fi'. Heck, it doesn't even whisper it...

and is that a GB Streamliner? Or a Shuttle?

12. Can you post a youtube clip of a song that has the tone that you are leaning towards?

13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    When I think hifi, I think a wide tonal range and generally a more scooped sound. I feel like a mid bump is the opposite of what I'd be going for.

Try boosting the bass and treble on your bass, or try pushing the preset buttons on your shuttle (assuming it's a shuttle).

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL

Wow, NICE(!!!!!) bass!

Could you explain what kind of tone you are going for? HiFi means many different things to different bassists.

IMHO, the Ampeg cabs are VERY dark. With the GB Shuttle 6.0 you should be able to shatter the glasses on the faces of the congregation with a good cab!

Dan K.

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Indeed. IMHO, "Ampeg" and "hi-fi" simply shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. Unless one is talking about polar opposite tonal qualities... :smug:

Get yourself a pair of Euphonic Audio NL-210s. Or maybe a pair of Accugroove Tri-112s (if you can find them). Now you're talking hi-fi... :cool:

MM

16. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Ok, I've never liked the tone of the Carvin SP pups - too mid-forward and not enough treble sheen. Throw some Bartolini CB's or some Nordy fatstacks in there and it'll totally turn that bass around. I've found the newer Carvin pre's to be not bad at all, but you could upgrade that too (Nordstrand is really nice; John East will keep the sweepable mid and has a rather Hi-Fi baked-in tone to it, but it's pricier than the Nordy).

17. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I have owned ea everything, Avalon stuff, lds, Aguilar, reddi, GB, etc...
    Know that when i'm saying its not hifi (piano'ish + very articulate) it really isn't.

I'm tending to think the pre is not the problem.

given what you guys are saying I think i'm going to start searching for some pups.

Are those pups listed drop-ins?

18. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    No no no! Aarrgh....

Don't do this - you've already got high-end electronics in that instrument. This will just be an exchange of perfectly good electronics with another set of perfectly good electronics and all you'll get is a lot poorer.

It's basically an EQ task at this point. What I do on my Bunnies to get the piano thing is put some scoop in the mids. You can do that with the onboard parametric mid eq. So have a go with that.

_only_ when you've exhausted that avenue do you want to look at exchanging the electronics and it's still going to be very expensive with very little gain.

You might still want to perhaps post a sound clip of the sound you're trying to achieve and what you've got now if possible. Please do that before you go drain your wallet on new electronics!

LS

19. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Do not spend another cent until you've posted a soundclip of this! :)

With the sound in my head, I'm leaning towards both pickups on full with some scoop in the upper mids with parametric EQ...

But soundclips of what you want and what you have now will help a lot, especially towards saving you from making a very expensive mistake....

LS

20. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Jan 10, 2013
    I can't really help, but I'd love to hear some sound clips of what you guys are talking about!