Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Get Cliffs Sound!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monkeylover009, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Hi,
    Ive just purchased a Digitech BP50 effects pedal and im completely lost!Does anyone out there know the settings that will enable my sound to closely resemble that of Cliff Burtons as in Anesthesia and For Whom The Bell Tolls?

Thanks!

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    distortion and wah. I was able to get that sound using guitar distortion/wah pedals. As it was a long time ago I couldn't really say what the exact settings were. Play around with it untill you get it or ever better something that you like and can make your own!

3. I had in the past a Cry Baby Bass. Used with a distortion that gave me

the same sound as Cliff's in Anesthesia. Which I call the "Panther roar":D .The effect is less pronounced with my actual Wah, a Georges Dennis switch+.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i had a danelctro wah pedal with built in distortion. if gave that "panther roar" but overkilled, the distortion was tooo raunchy.

5. slash

slash

Jun 15, 2004
    Hamilton, Canada
    man... i would use an electro-harmonix big muff distortion pedal for the distortion.... as for the wah, i'm not so sure... any wah pedal that i had ever used didn't have enough sweep to hit that kind of sound cliff had... it's been a few years since i've been searching for the answer to your question myself actually.... :meh:
    also, as for your digitech pedal... i have no idea....

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    a good, high output passive bass... he always had a ton of "mud" to his sound, so crank those mid levels.

i found you can get a decent sound out of DOD grunge pedals, i really prefer them over most bass overdrives.

Morley whas, the only way to go..

and a rick' always helps, and dont forget to bang your head while you play! :bassist: :bassist:

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not about Basses - moved.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you mean active, not passive, right?

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Go get yourself a Mesa/Boogie D-180 with a 2x15 cab, a EH Big Muff, a Morley wah, a Rickenbacker, and some bellbottoms. You'll have the Cliff sound nailed.

10. if i heard correctly in the past he was known to use a morely power wah.

11. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    hmmm... I always thought he used an Auto Wah for pulling teeth? I haven't hear Kill 'em all in ages... :meh:

12. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs

no i mean a higher output passives, no old vintage P bass pups : )

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cliff generally used a Rickenbacker, but also had an Alembic Spoiler and an Aria Pro II. Mostly just a lot of mids, an old green Sovtek Big Muff and a Power Wah Boost. I recommend the hottest bass you can get, crank the mids, Big Muff into a Morley Wah: I could never get that sound out of a Dunlop, but almost any Morley did.

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    This is all good, but he said he needed which settings to use on his BP50.

For the distortion, go the the Amplifier/Stompbox selector, and find P9. This will give you good distortion.

Under the EQ settings, make sure you have lots of mids in there.

Finally, for the wah sound, go to Chorus/Mod and find E3. This is an envelope filter. It's a cool auto-wah thing that changes frequencies depending on how hard you pluck (or pick) the strings.

This should get you fairly close to Cliff's sound. Hope this helps. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

15. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    His Rickenbacker was hardly a Rickenbacker except for the body and neck

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    True... do you know exactly what he put in there?

17. i know the pickups were a eb-0 or eb-3 pickup and a jazz pickup in the bridge other than that im not sure.

18. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    Look on ebay for a Morley Power Wah Boost Pedal. These are old like made in the 70s maybe...but anyway this is the same pedal cliff used in anestasia and for whom the bell tolls. Jason used it too!!!