Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me get good tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NightmareCinema, May 9, 2003.

1. NightmareCinema

NightmareCinema

Mar 27, 2003
    I've been playing guitar for 4 years and just started bass. I got myself an Ibanez EDC700 and a small Peavy Microbass amp (not the greatest rig, but i just play for enjoyment and never gig so no need for big equipment) On my amp i've got MID, BASS and HIGH controls. On my bass I have MID, BASS, TREBLE and FREQUENCY knobs. I'm not used to this many knobs (my main guitar only had a volume knob) and am having a hard time getting a good tone. I'm looking to get a good thick sound for funk and similar music with lots of slapping/popping but something that won't sound terrible when not slapping. (I really like the tone Les Claypool has on the song "Oz is ever floating" with Oysterhead) Anyone have some ideas?

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Firstly, I want to say that tone is totally subjective and is different from person to person.

That being said, try decreasing your mids and boosting the bass and treble. Try doing the same on your amp. Basically just experiment.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    set everything flat to the center detents(on the bass). Then if you want a good slap tone, generally turn up the bass a bit. Then turn down the mids. Then try that out. usually you can change the settings a bit from there, and you can find what you like.

4. NightmareCinema

NightmareCinema

Mar 27, 2003
    thanks, i'll try that.

5. an intermediate piece of dedicated equipment may help and be an asset for years with any other bass/amps you may buy..
    sansamp...i got one today and it has transformed my sound...without recourse to all the changes i was going to make
    and it has a good setting for slap..
    :)