Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me get good!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by babybassist, Apr 18, 2001.

1. babybassist

babybassist

Apr 18, 2001
    Kent, England
    I'm pretty new around here and kinda new to this bass malarky, but i'm addicted already... The thing is i'm really not that great and the books i have are okay but a bit annoying..i get tabs off the net to play some songs and make up fairly simple stuff for our band, but are there any like, I dunno, favourite scales that are really good to practice or and songs that are really good at getting you to play faster than a lame snail...the extent of my bass skill at the mo is Narcolepsy by third eye blind to give you all an idea. Not terrible but not exactly knock you out fab. And no I can't afford proper lessons. Don't be mean in your replies i ain't been playing long!

Any hints/tips apart from the obvious like, PRACTICE!
    Cheers y'all!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hi babybassist, and welcome to talkbass!

here's a great GREAT site with gobs of online lessons on all aspects of bass playing

http://www.libster.com

check it out, and good luck

3. Find your niche and most important........

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

Only through practice shall one triumph!
    - Bass Virtuoso :|=

4. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    the importance of knowing what key your playing in is severely underrated.You will be so much better if you in your band know what key your songs are in(unless of course you already do then you just need to practice and get a metronome because all you really need is the key and the timing)

5. :eek: Did someone say....."metronome"?:eek:

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the only prob with being wise on the subject of what key you're in is that in you're band (if you're doing originals) there probably won't be a key in the first place ! most of our originals pick notes up from everywhere and as such aren't in any known key, but that's good advice if you're doing covers - if you know the key then you got the power to make it more interesting, don'tcha ! :D that in itself is an art form ..

7. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    ;)

8. ..Don't you start! :D

Well anyways, welcome to TB.some small TB requirements that aren't in the terms and conditions....

1. Don't mention metronomes!
    2. No spamming unless your post count is above 50
    3. Listen to JT (John Turner) he is the Conklin King.
    4. A man is not a camel
    5. Drummers are not musicians, more or less a species.
    6. It is Geetar not Guitar...
    7. Keep an open mind and say you are only FORCED to use tabs....
    8. and Finally, never listen to what i have to say!

:D :p

Merls

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    ... and if you don't go to Berklee, we won't respect you :D ner ner ! loser ! :p

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So none of your music has any tonal or key centers?

Must be some wild stuff! You should post some mp3's for us to check out.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    funny you should bring that up, embellisher :) i'm currently in the process of hassling a friend of mine to host one of our songs on his website so i can't post if up for all of you lovely bass fanatics to cringe at :D if anyone would like to volunteer, tho, that'd be awesome :D hehe we're not *that* far out, but yeah, our songs are kinda .. weird ... i'm also shy about posting up songs where i'm playing bass (ie. all of ours) 'coz i've currently taken over vocal duties and damn, singing lead and playing is a royal task to master, i'll tell ya ..

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's pretty much impossible to be in "no known key" in the western scale - there's probably 12 different ways to name every possible key, every possible combination of notes, and they are all fairly easy to name/mention if you know their names/modes, but you guys may all be playing in different keys.

which would definitely sound interesting, to say the least. :D

i too would like to hear your music - i like interesting [​IMG]

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I agree that I expect these songs are in a given key. Although I suppose if a song doesn't have any resolutions and just sort of meanders around then it might be difficult to identify. The way you can usually tell what key is the function of each chord in the piece - but if the chords have no discernible function, then it might not be possible to say what key the song was in.

I remember writing songs, many years ago, where I deliberately tried to avoid any chords I knew and I played one to the girlfriend of somebody I knew. She was a professional musician - playing clarinet in an orchestra. She said it was interesting that I had based a whole song around one diminished chord - rather sarcastically! So what I had done was create something that wasn't really in a key as such - it was just one chord in the whole song!!

I suppose that technically, you could have named a few keys and been right, but it really wouldn't be the same as identifying a key in the normal sense.
    I thik the same is true of a lot of Rap songs where they have sampled a few bars and looped it - now the original song might have been said to be in a particular key - but the rap isn't really in any key and is in a sense more "limited" than that. I mean if you said it was G Minor and so theoretically you could embellish/improvise using chords/scales from that key - then they just wouldn't work in the Rap "sampled" context. You just have to take each chord as it comes.

There are a few Jazz tunes/pieces a bit like this - where there are just chords one after the other that have no logical sequence - you just have to take each chord as it comes. Modal Jazz is a bit like this - but there are more extreme examples. And of course "Free" Jazz, definitely has no key centre.

Truly atonal music, without any repetition is very difficult to write and play, of course - when we're talking about things like Schonberg etc.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the easiest way to get back at classical musicians who crack on jazz players is to make fun of them for being in what amounts to large cover bands. I know this is SO far from the truth as to be ludicrous, but it makes them so mad they can't argue. :D

15. I agree with all but probably this...most sampled loops (whether it be DnB, hip-hop, anything) have artifacts of other instruments; here and there you can hear the original key (or notes within that scale).
    I do alot of looping, sampling, etc and then building "real" instruments on top - not all loops and samples have something to base a progression upon, but alot do. Sometimes it's just the tuning of a particular drum (in the case of a looped beat) that can provide a key to start from.