help me get over ebay sniper loss!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 24, 2003.

1. i found my ultimate bass on ebay for a price i can really afford and some guy from Germany beat me to it by a single Euro! :bawl:

any remedies?
  2. kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Email the seller and offer a higher amount than the final price.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If the seller renigs, and sells it to you for the higher price, he'll likely get a negative rating for doing so, and rightfully so.

However, if it is a one-time seller, he may not give a rip. Worth a try, I 'spose.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If oyu read teh ebay user agreement this is illegal and you can be banned for doing so if reported. I always wait otu the last 15 minutes of my auctions if its an important/rare item. The most important phase of the bidding is the last 30 minutes-you'll lose auction after auction by $1-$5 if you odn't monitor the final minutes. Just a heads up. :)
  5. kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Yeah I know that it is illegal, but you can always try to email him.
  6. wahts the bass??~?? pics........
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The remedy is to take this as a learning experience for ebay bidding and don't let the next one you want get away by under-bidding. If you got outbid, regardless of the timing, that means somebody else wanted it more than you did...and was willing to pay more to get it.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd say bid the maximum amount you're willing to pay and let proxy bidding do the work. Once you bid, don't check the auction results until it's closed. If you've lost, then no big deal, at least you know you didn't overspend.

I'm sure there are reasons not to do this, but nickel-and-dime bidding makes you susceptible to stress from being sniped. I've heard that some people use software designed for eBay sniping. Hmm, maybe you could look into that.

I should shut up because I don't often look at eBay and have never bought or sold there. Bought a bunch of stuff from no stress so far (knock knock).
  9. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I was recently in a last-minute ebay battle. I ended up spending about $25 more than i wanted to spend, but i really wanted it. I kept having to bid because his proxy bidding kept beating me. It was very stressful. It was a carvin r600.
  10. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Auction Stealer, works like a charm ;)

The free service has some limits, but it's still damn good. There are plenty of other sniping services out there, some free, some not.

....OR, if your awake or at the computer when the auction ends, you could just become a sniper yourself.

Disable all pictures from being displayed on your browser (speeds up page load time), keep hitting refresh until about 10 seconds left (or 5 seconds if you're brave and have broadband), enter your max bid, and there ya go!

Bidding early is for suckers :D ;)
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

I really don't think that software is very cool..kinda abusing the system. Its probably against Ebay policy as well, i haven't read it all teh way though, lol.