1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me get over my fear of micro heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle K, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    In a few weeks I'll be pursching a new head for my Eminence loaded Ashdown MAGs. I'm thinking about the Peavey Tour or Hartke LH500. Another head that keeps popping up in my research is the Carvin BX500. But something about such a tiny device used to generate loads of power doesn't sit right with me. I guess I think that if something is being used to reproduce bass then it should be big, hence my love for 15's. I've read about how people love their GK MB500's and LM heads but I still feel uneasy about taking the plunge.

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Never had any issue with the micro heads I've owned. Formerly a GK and now a Genz Benz. Produce plenty of power, great tone and so very light. Nuff said for me.

3. Wagz

Wagz

May 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    An apples to oranges comparison applies to micro heads. Class D amps can output a ton of power out of a smaller chip that runs cooler than traditional class AB and A circuits. They do sound a little different but it explains how you can crank 500 watts out of an amp that doesn't have a heat sink.
    Don't fear the size, your car is most likely half the size of a comparable car from the 60s but I'll bet it's faster, more efficient, more reliable and more convenient. Technology is a wonderful thing.

4. FellowBass

FellowBass Bass Player Extraordinaire. OK, just ordinaire.

Jan 22, 2011
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I LOVE my Ampeg Micro head. Heck, I love the Micro 2x10 cabinet that it powers, too. Nothing small about that sound.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've owned a crapload of amps and heads. Got myself a BX500 and I'm one happy amp owner with no amp gas for about 3 years now. I love this thing, love the sound and versatility more than any other amp I ever owned, and especially love that I can carry it with one finger in a tiny little laptop bag. Has more power than I ever needed to. Just buy one and you'll quickly get over the fear. :)

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i have a big rig,...

my son has a micro,...

he CRAVES my rig!!! (nuff said from me);)

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If all there was to choose from were solid state amps, I'd be just fine sticking with micros. I have a couple and they're great and work well. But tube amps ruin it for me ;)

8. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    old wives tale

is it true that if you have iffy power sources that Class D heads can get wonky (cut in/out, make odd noises, stay on but not give sound)?

i thought i read that non-Class D heads can handle fluctuating and/or lower power sources better than Class D because of all the internal switching that occurs in the Class D format?

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Gk Mb800 = wall of 'knock your teeth out' power.

Weight = 5LBS

10. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    It's not the class D amp that's sensitive to line voltage but the switch mode power supply. Class A/B or class H with SMPS could be sensitive too.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    GK and Genz here. No issues. Solid so far.

12. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    My Carvin BX500 kicks out loud with great tone. No problem with it. You won't want to haul a lead sled around anymore after you have a good micro.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, I see a lot of folks going back to lead sleds or not making the switch. Not everyone, but enough to let me know that many folks prefer other formats. Nothing wrong with any of it, but there are differences and they can't be denied IMHO.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    What's a lead sled?

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Little Mark III here. No problems at all. Ran it through an 810 last night!

16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    OK, now you guys got me wondering how much my tone will be affected if I choose to buy a micro. The only music store in my area has a few micro heads, but they are GK MB's which are not really my cup of tea. I like a nice clean, old school type of tone. I don't use tweeters and usually scoop the mids. The Hartke LH500 seems like it might work for me, but I'm a little concerned with the lack of EQ controls.

17. marantz10

marantz10 Master Bass Playa

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I previously have had multiple different setups and different sized amps.

Ampeg svt-350: large, heavy, durable, bland, not even close to loud because it's MOSFET

Ampeg svt-2pro: large, heavy, fragile, warm, loud

GK MB500: small, light, durable, versatile tone, loud enough for any band with one guitarist

Ampeg SVT-4pro: 4u size, 40 pounds, fragile because of preamp tubes, warm tone, still wasn't loud enough for me when I was in a band with two guitarists--similar volume output to the GK MB500. Once again, MOSFET solid state was a disappointment.

Different preamps + Crown XTI2000 class D power amp: 2u size, 20 pounds, durable, infinite choice of tones depending on your preamp, loud enough for any situation including two guitarists using 4x12 cabs and 100 watt tube heads playing in a ridiculously loud band.

Moral of the story: Class D has any combination to get what you need and the overall price won't leave you begging on the street for money afterward.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    You really need a Genz Benz STM-900 or 600. I love mine and I'm with you on the old school no tweeter sound. I pump my (2) 15s with no sweat.

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned a series of GK MB2-500's (the first couple production runs before they dropped the "2" from the name), a Markbass LMTube, a Tecamp Puma1000 (the older Powersoft version), and currently use a Genz Benz Streamliner900. Other than the initial run of MB2-500's, they've all performed great.

20. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Best move I ever made was losing my SWR SM900 rack anvil and getting a Streamliner 900

Move in/out is awesome. Ditto technology is our friend