Help me get past my fears

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm sticking my toe in the water again... ohh, but it's sooo cold!

I'm considering letting go of my corvette, sterling, dano hodads, and curbow 5 so i can buy a bongo 5 and be done with my bass purchases for life. (yeah sure)

2 major fears:

1. The whole selling process. Never did ebay, never packaged and shipped a bass (not true, once but I had all the packaging), never dealt with the whole E money thing. seems like a huge hassle.

2. I fear regretting it bigtime. Especially with my warwick because it has sentimental value, plus i feel it's a lot different than any other warwick i've ever played and therefore irreplaceable. my 2 dano's also - they're getting harder and harder to come by.

I'll finish by putting some bait out - FOR SALE (not quite ready to put it in for sale section):

sparkle blue sterling with a small chip on front top that I covered up fairly well with blue sparkle nailpolish. A few belt scratches in the back. Maple neck, unbelievably fast action, and great sounding, playing all round.

Cort curbow 5 string, 3 band EQ, red, great neck, bartolinii pu.

anyone wanna make offers and walk me through it?
  2. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've moved a great number of amps and cabs over the years, but I tend to hang onto my basses, I've only sold two over these last 20 or so years I've been playing. It just seems that other stuff is peripheral and can be replaced, while instruments have a character and individuality that's impossible to replace. Even at gigs, I'll leave my rig someplace (reasonably safe), even in the car, but my bass is never out of sight.

I've been particularly fortunate to have never had a bad experience dealing over the internet, but you've heard the nightmare stories. There's a sticky over in the fs forum that has great tips, but the biggest thing is your intuition.

To avoid e-money and shipping and all the related anxieties you can stick to local deals, being in nyc is a plus for that. And remember that that's how we did things in the old days (you know, like way way back before like 1996). That way, too, you can be more secure that you're stuff is going to a good person who's not going to take your '60s vintage Ampeg 215 that you give him a great deal on only to see him part it out the next day (okay, one negative experience, but that was a local deal).

Sorry 'bout the little rant there. Anyway, if at all possible hang onto the instruments you like and have sentimental value to you. Don't set yourself up for regrets (see your #2). I'll let others flame you about your bongo choice....

... and you're right, you'll never be 'done'.

And BTW, if the Curbow is American, I know a guy who'll want it, pm me. Best of luck on your quest, Jeff
  3. I've been in the same boat- gotten very attached to basses, obsessed over them, sold, regretted, searched for the next holy grail... my advice is do it. I miss several of the good ones, but I can't really afford/justify keeping the ones I do have, let alone a collection. Life (on Earth) is short- on to the next bass!
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think that is a tough move. Letting go all those basses to get "THE ONE" is the choice if you ARE sure what you need is a Bongo and nothing else.

I agree with Permagrin, basses have that kind of "personality" that you can´t find very often in many instruments. For example, I think I´ll never let go my ATK. It fits my hands and playing style better than any bass I´ve tried in the past.

I don´t know if this helped or not, good luck in your path to bass happiness. :cool:
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    eBay is not really an option for you Joe. If you're a new user, you will have a zero feedback rating so most buyers will not trust you. You'll get few bids meaning a low price, good for them, bad for you.

To avoid the shipping hassle, go local. The newspaper still works but I like -- you will get more people interested and maybe a bit higher price if you can offer to deliver it, but of course that takes some of your time.

As to whether or not you should sell, I say go for it. I have too many basses, and frequently think about selling one or two, but I always chicken out. I've resolved to try and trade them for something I will use, but then the person typically doesn't want to trade for that particular bass so I'm safe in holding onto them. It's twisted and non-productive, but it sort of works for me. Anybody interested in an SX Jazz fretless or an Ibanez MC-924 w/ barts and a Kahler trem? Too bad, I bet you don't have anything to trade that I will use! :D
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think you should keep them, or at least the warwick and sterling. You can sell the cort since it doesnt mean that much to you and was just a temporary thing, but the sterling was your main bass for a while, and you have sentimental value in the warwick.
  7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Why not sell on TB? I have sold 3 basses in the last year - an MIA P, A Kingston 5 and a Brice Douglas 5, all on TB. Each transaction was a pleasure, no hassles.
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just sold a Cirrus on talkbass.

On here, you are more likely to sell it to someone who you chat with here, whom you are more likely to trust with others who can vouch for them.

You have to be a supporting member to sell on here (which I plan on doing soon).

If you get all the information about the person you are dealing with, e-mail addresses, work and home address, phone numbers (work, home, cell, etc.), photo ID's, first born child, etc. you shouldn't worry too much. :)

PayPal is an excellent way of doing business online. I've bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of expensive telescopes and parts using an astronomy message board (similar to talkbass) and PayPal and it's always been quick and easy, with no problems at all, ever.

As far as regretting selling anything...A long time ago (pre-Internet) I sold a '62 Fender Precision that was in mint condition. I also sold an early vintage 4001 Rick. I regret both sales now as they are probably worth some good money now. But I was young and stupid. Unless you have a bass that is worth something as a collector bass, it's really your call if you'll miss it after it's gone.

Everything is replaceable...well, almost everything.
  9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Bongos arent so damn expensive, maybe selling the 'ling and the curbow could let you rounding the $800-$1000 dollar then youll need just $300-$500 + not selling the hard-to-find ones and the 'vette that you seem to apreciate.
  10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Instead of being overwhelmed by thinking of selling all of those basses, just pick one that would be the easiest for you to part with. Once you've gone through the process of selling that bass, you can use that experience to make your next move - sell the next bass, or - forget it, I'm keepin' 'em...
  11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Those Bongos are a bit hard to look at, but MAN...they sound great, and are very, very versatile..I keep on trying them out at Guitar Center and each time I have been very impressed. You could pretty much make one your main bass!

Bongo, the ultimate driving machine!

And this is coming from a fender head!!
  12. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002

Anyone who has been on this board for at least a few months is bound to recognize your user name. You may recognize the person who is interested in buying too. That familiarity should reduce some of the stress. I'd recommend opening a PayPal account ASAP. It's very easy. That way you'll be ready to sell when you shake off your jitters. If you deal with confirmed address PayPal users and you are confirmed as well you shouldn't have any problems with trusting the person your dealing with in the transaction. I never have. You get the money in your PayPal account before you have to ship off your precious cargo. Extremely slim chance of being ripped off. I've participated in at least a dozen transactions. Always with confirmed address paypal users and I've never had a lick of trouble either here on Talkbass or on E-bay.

As for packing. The bass in a hardshell case or decent big bag packed into a cardboard box surrounded with packing peanuts is pretty darn safe. You can even double box if you want to for added protection. I did that on a bass I shipped via UPS from here in Atlanta all the way up to Canada. The bass arrived safe and sound. I was happy and my friend to the north was happy as well.

Regret? Keep only the very sentimental basses. Any of the others that you never or rarely play I say sell 'em. Better to know that a nice instrument is getting used rather than have it sitting in a corner forever. You really have to weight how much you'd hate to part with what you've got against how much you want that 5 string bongo. I had a collection of about 1/2 a dozen fender Jazz basses. Some reissues, some CIJ, some american made. Deluxe's and standards. I sold them all to by my Modulus Q5, a bass I'd been lusting after for quite some time. I won't lie, soon after I bought the Modulus I was having a bit of seller's remore. After I played the Modulus for about a month that remorse completely disapperared-. To this day, everytime I play my Q5 I have zero regret because of how much I enjoy this long sought after bass. I have a feeling you'll feel the same way about that bongo 5.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think you should sell on Talkbass and I would only sell two basses, the Curbow and Dano Hodad. The Sterling and Warwick are quality basses and no matter how good the Bongo is, you will miss it if let go too much to get it. That is something i have learned the hard way.
  14. I think you should keep them, and save up for the Bongo.

I know what it's like to GAS for a bass, but I could never sell any of my current basses to get another one.

Every instrument is unique IMHO, and I'm attached to all of my basses. To me, they're irreplaceable.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Took me almost 2 years to responsibly buy the bongo I just got. Can't wait that long for the 5 string. I think I'm going to wind up selling the sterling and the curbow because I'm not emotionally attached to either of them, and I feel they can both be easily replaced. I know I can't replace the warwick, and I'm going to have to think about the Dano's. the value seems to be slowly going up on them, and one really cool thing about danos is they feed back like guitars. none of my other basses do that....

any one feel like dropping $700 on my sterling?

any offers for the curbow?