Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me get primus tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VoodooChillie, Nov 13, 2000.

1. VoodooChillie

VoodooChillie

Nov 13, 2000
    ok im out to get a new bass
    im looking for amazing slap tone with out breaking the bank im thinking i cant go wrong with a used stringray 5
    im poor so im trying to stay under 1000$ canadian
    i dont even know if i can get a stringray for that much
    but ill try
    any advice? other basses to check out and what not...

2. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    The ray isn't going to sound much like primus

3. i think if you did some research on les claypools equitment and added it all up it would probally break the bank for most of us, i think his bass would break the bank for me.
    i agree with mark though the stingay isn't going to do it.
    the world doesn't need les claypool jr. anyways.

4. newbassplayer

newbassplayer

Nov 13, 2000
    There's another thing to consider, also...that is, you don't have HIS hands. You may be able to play those notes, but what are the chances that

1. The pads on your hands are made up exactly the same, which causes a certain damping effect on the strings as they are struck.

2. That your finger nails are identical in shape and thickness, to get a certain kind of attack when you strike the strings in a downward motion the way he does.

3. That your muscle strenth favors exactly the same finger movements as him

4. That you actually HAVE a 6-string fretless Carl Thompson

5. That you actually have the exact same feel as he does

There are many more factors that will play into all this as well...don't assume that you can be someone else just because you love his or her playing.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Sorry, I can't help you with your request, but I just wanted to say welcome to Talkbass! :)

6. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I don't think we need to make things that complicated.....he never said i want to be les

7. Here are some of the integral components of the Claypool sound:

1. Heavily laminated neck-through-body bass
    2. EMG-DC bridge pickup, always soloed (I think it's the only pickup on most of his basses anyway
    3. Kahler bass tremolo (get this from http://members.home.com/porkproducts/home.html)
    4. Claypool gets that really flubby, fret-smacking tone on the low notes because he strings, from high G to low E, .040-.040-.080-.080. (Source: Bass Player, Jan/Feb '93)

You still won't have his hands or his 25 years of fusion-honed technique, but you will sound something like him.

8. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Not to jump on you there (others seemed to reflect your stance)... but he didn't say that be wanted to be Les Claypool. He just said he wanted to get the Primus "amazing slap tone". Whether he plays like Les or not isn't obvious. :D

--noise

9. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    agreed Mr. Noise

10. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hmmmmmmmmm, velly intellestink!

It appears that NBP is in the habit of making exceuses for failure. That is not a good way to approach bass playing (or anything else for that matter). Think positive! You can do whatever you want to do, just keep practicing and keeping your eye on the ball (or strings). Les, look out!!!!!!!

11. VoodooChillie

VoodooChillie

Nov 13, 2000
    hey i just wanted to know of a bass where i could get tone that i could slap like that with out spending alot
    im asking for ideas on a bass with that tone not asking to be les claypool
    anyone know of a nice bass like that
    thats all!
    chill!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that all that is being said here is something that is mentioned quite a lot in bass playing circles, usually attributed to Jaco, that tone is "all in the hands". A lot of people consider that the tone is at least 90% down to the player and that a really good player could get a great sound out of a cheap bass, but if he/she passed that same bass to you (average bass player) that it would sound like a crap bass.

I'm not too sure about this, but I think it does particularly apply to slapping - where the need to mute, for example and have a good technique actually contributes a lot to the "sound". If you're just "wacking" away indiscriminately, it's not going to sound good, no matter how much you spend on a bass. I do think that some basses sound better for slap, but I also think that there is something in the "technique first" argument.

If the poster didn't want people to concentrate on Les Claypool, then he shouldn't have headed the topic "primus tone" - once again I think it shows up the need to think carefully about the title as this is what people are going to see first and have in their minds when replying.

It sounds like a better result would have been achieved if the topic had been put in "Basses" and titled something like "Good basses for slap sound - Stingray 5 or any other suggestions? This would have avoided all the arguments about whether you can actually sound like Les Claypool... it just needs a little bit of thought.

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Perhaps then...it would have remained in the Basses forum...:)

15. To sound like primus one must learn the "blappity,blappity, blappity, bop" technique. Finger noise is essential.

16. Hmm I thought that he used Mesa 400+, but on the other hand with all the rest of his stuff and skills it doesnt matter much I guess. But I read in an interview that he just plugged the 400+ straight into the desk and played. So much for miking cabs eh?? But I must admit that the 400+ sounds good lined.. at least to my ears. But its just a matter of opinion.. as Les says in a Primus song :)