1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me get started

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Been meaning to start recording more but my current set up has not been working out. I have been recording through a cheap mixer which sounds alright but can be noisy and gives me some latency when listening through my computer with headphones.

So what would be a better approach? Should I get an audio interface? That would fix the latency I believe and might help reduce background noise. My computer is also pretty old so getting a new computer might make a big difference. Lastly I was considering upgrading mixers, something with a USB out could work like an interface and a nicer mixer might reduce background noise as well.

Which route would you go? A cheap 50-100$ audio interface seems like a good starting point possibly. I also need to just work with what I have more as I might figure a better method out.

2. Anything digital will have some latency. That is due to the process of converting analog to digital, and then back to analog again so you can hear it. Newer stuff will be faster, in general, but it depends on the settings you use. The higher the bit rate, the longer it takes to process, all else being equal.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Well my current set up its a pretty decent 3-5 seconds or so of latency, makes it a pain to listen as I record using headphones.

So would a nicer computer make a bigger difference for the latency over an interface or nicer mixer?

4. All I'm doing right now is using a Zoom B1on and a Zoom H2n.

Plug bass and "Aux" if needed into B1on..then take "headphone out " on that and plug it into "line in" on Zoom with dial on XY mic input.

Listen to it all on "headphone out" of Zoom before hitting "record".

Sounds great. Easy Peezy.

Can take card out of Zoom and instantly load it to computer for things like SoundCloud etc.

5. That's really hard to say in general.
    3-5 seconds of latency is horrible. That's almost like something else is really wrong in the setups.
    Do you have a lot of other programs running on the computer at the same time?
    How old, what type of computer are you using? Pre-Pentium?
    You might want to review the settings to see if ramping down the bit rates of the audio will still work for you.

HD radio is based on 15 year old technology and has a throughput delay of about 7 seconds.
    That's running PCM stereo audio at 16 bit and 44.1 KHz sample rates. That is considered to be CD quality. Your needs should be much less demanding.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the latency is 'in' your computer and the attendant software.

7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Usually when I am recording I just run Audacity and if I am playing keys a VSThost program and patch library. I have a Dell Inspiron n5010 3 core laptop.

I can try dropping the bit rates though as I am probably recording with them set excessively high.

8. Try that first. Won't cost anything.
    Are you recording in stereo?
    If so just go mono. That alone will cut the data needs in half.

Sunset Shalom likes this.