Help me get the right tone for blues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by montrocity, Feb 19, 2004.

1. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have a Hartke 3500 head, two 4x10 hartke cabs and a fender p bass. My band plays a mix of rock and blues. I like the tone I get on the rock stuff but I can't seem to get the right nice warm, rounded tone I need for the blues. Does anyone know of a particular piece of equipment (i.e. a particular effects pedal) I can use in my setup to help me produce a good "bluesy" tone?

I thought maybe a good compressor would help and the amp has a built-in compressor. However, I've read in these forums, and am inclined to agree, that the hartke built-in compressor is not very good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to anything. Thanks.
  2. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I love a good compressor, if it's transparent, not too squishy, etc.

I have had great luck with the Toadworks Mr Squishy, and the ART Levelar compressors. Both are easy to use, transparent,effective...The ART is cheaper, the Toadworks is slightly more boutiquee and has an input gain :) .

For what your trying to accomplish, I would suggest a Seymour Duncan (Basslines) Hot for P-Bass Pick-up (SPB-2) and old round wound strings (just not replacing them for a looooong while.)

The P/Us are great, meaty, round, full, high output, and many other great things as well. At least for me.

Good Luck

3. Cheapo alternative:

Roll of the tone and play closer to the neck, or on the 15-18thth fret actually...

Also try to avoid too much ultra hi and lo eq - keep it pretty straight with maybe some adjustment (decrease the high mids and increase the lower mids).

Stay on the tube pre of your Hartke!!!
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I play blues, I run the tone on my P-bass all the way off. You will find that as you roll the tone knob down there is a "sweet spot" about 1/3 or 1/4 way up that gets real fat sounding. Tune it to taste.