1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me get this tone: Zig Zag Wanderer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beefandbones, Mar 8, 2013.

1. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    'Zig Zag Wanderer' by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
    Recorder April 1967

Starts at 1:32

I have a Jazz Bass and a Eden Nemesis 2x12. What pedals might help me get closer to that enormous beefy sound? Is it an overdrive? Slight fuzz? EQ? Compression? I'm having trouble figuring out how they did that, and how I can do it too!

Any insight about how they achieved the sound, or what vintage or modern pedals will get me closer to it, would be very much appreciated.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Great song, and great bass tone!

It's an overdriven low wattage tube amp with the treble rolled way down and the speaker farting out. Try using the neck pickup of your bass only, cranking your gain and playing with extreme EQ settings (high bass, low treble, mids to taste). Does your nemesis have a distortion circuit? Give that a try as well. It's not gonna sound identical, but you have a very flexible amp and you can probably sound close enough for the mix.

If that doesn't cut it, you could try various OD pedals or even some low-gain fuzz, but realistically, nothing's ever gonna sound like an overdriven low-wattage tube amp but an overdriven low-powered tube amp.

3. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    Thanks! I'll try playing around with the amp some more, and maybe investigate a subtle overdrive.

4. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    rccollins is probably correct, but don' forget beefandbonesson, for sound of beef, you must have heart of beef...

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I'd think more of an EXTREME tube-sounding overdrive (with treble and mids rolled way back), or even a fuzz set to low gain (same EQ)