1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me get to NBD: Looking for some input on pickup selection

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nice_hat, Mar 31, 2018.

1. nice_hat

nice_hat Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
    I'm looking for some help from my TB community in getting my newest project finished.

My journey began when I got a bit of a bug from a thread I read here and began playing my fretless 4 a bunch. Now, I consider myself a 5 string player. I have played a 5er 99% of the time for the last 20 years, and my jams on the fretless 4 just weren't as much fun for me to play without that low B. So the GAS hit, fast and mercilessly... I need a fretless 5er!

Started looking around local and online for deals on fretless, or a fretted that I could have converted. Well, a few weeks go by and I come across this little beauty. (For those that do not care to click, it is an Ibanez SRT 805 that was beautifully defretted. No pickups, routed for EMG 40 size soapbars, 16.5 mm spacing, not the 17.5 listed on the thread)

So, once in my possession, I did some research and decided on an Audere 4 channel preamp.
    I also found a good deal on some boutique pickups here on TB. But as you may have gathered, one of the pups was bad. (It happens, no love lost for the seller :D:bassist:).

A bit more info, because I know the details help recommendations in posts like this... I use EB cobalt flats, I play into either an ampeg SVT 4 pro and 4x10 ampeg cab, or my soon to arrive fender rumble 500 over a sure wireless. My primary effects are dirt (MXR M85) and chorus (Danelectro Cool cat). Style of play on this instrument will range from bluegrass to pop, jazz to metal, probably more metal and blues than anything. I do have the Audere 4 channel z preamp, in 9v configuration.

So, now that we have so that context in place, I'm looking for some help. I want to get pickups that will give me versatility and great sound. I'm thinking maybe independent coil tap switches are in order here. My initial thoughts where Delano SBC 5 HE/S-4?

I can't bring myself to do the official NBD post until it's finished, so here we are.

And.... Go! 1522519412647989023029180584411.

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Aguilar DCB maybe?

nice_hat likes this.
  3. nice_hat

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
    Could still use some help on this. Trying to get an idea of what to expect from some of the higher end pickups from folks who have used them, maybe even on a fretless?

@sikamikanico , went makes you recommend that pickup, would appreciate any detail or context you have regarding the recommend :)

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    While I don’t have direct experience with them, they are well regarded around here, come in the EMG40 size, fit your string spacing (rails), and are reasonably priced. However, I believe they’re hardwired in series, so it would take some minor surgery to allow coil splitting and other such acrobatics.

I’d also consider Kent Armstrong pickups. The WD/Korean made version is quite cheap, but has a solid reputation. Allows for series/parallel/single coil switching...

I’m sure EMG and Bartolini would have something to fit that bass, then of course Delano is a solid choice, as is Nordstrand...

Frankly, I would get a set of solid but not too expensive pups in there (with the right specs for dimensions), see how they behave. It can take trial and error to find a set that fit your goals, so you have to start somewhere. Or you can just learn to deal with a “good enough” set - with the preamp, a choice of strings, and technique, you have lots of other ways to fine tune the sound.

nice_hat likes this.
  5. nice_hat

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
    I decided to go with Seymour Duncan NYC.
    :thumbsup::bassist:

Zoobiedood likes this.