Help me give my Eden some Ampegish "dirt"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Hello, I recently bought an Eden WT-550. Last week I first took it to rehearsal and, although it sounded great and much better than any amp I've used so far, I thought that it was too "clean" for my band's music (we play technical metal, like progressive slipknot or sth). I like ampeg's dirty sound for my band, but didn't want an ampeg because I wanted versatility. So, I like the Eden for all situations, but with my band I'd like to have a dirtier sound. I've got a Boss ODB-3 overdrive which I don't like much, I find it a bit "dry" and it kills the tone of my bass. What's the best for my situation? Maybe a Sansamp?
  2. I've played all-tube amps & hybrids, & the Danelectro Daddy-O is a nice pedal for adding subtle(or not-so-subtle)tube-ishness, IMO.
  3. i've heard some things about the HAO rust ride (or something like that) that it sounds like an ampeg that is pushed slightly over the edge
  4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I kind a have the same issue with my GK. Sometimes I would like more grittier lo-fi sound. I'll have to look into some of these pedals.
  6. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Mind you, I'm not looking for a distortion effect, just a little "grittier lo-fi sound" as squidfinger said.
    If I got a Sansamp, which one would you suggest and where in my chain would I put it? Bass->Sansamp->Eden? Bass->Eden->Sansamp in Eden FX loop? Or maybe Bass->Sansamp->Eden FX return (to completely bypass the eden preamp)?
  7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Sanamp is perfect for that. It can emulate an old SVT very nicely.

This way, you go get your "Eden" sound back if you wish, you can use the DI, and take full advantage of the pedals as a stomp box.
  8. JES

JES Supporting Member

If money's no object, I use a bassdrive in front of the WT400 as my "sound" -- the first channel is permanently on.
  9. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    An Ibanez turbo Tube screamer works real well for adding just a bit of grit to the signal without goung into full overdrive. The turbo setting adds a little overdrive,and doesn't lose bottom end. Great pedal!
  10. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I personally didnt like the Daddy-o, it wasn't meaty as i'd like. I'd suggest you try a sansamp bassdriver if you want that thickened modern drive sound, or a fulltone bassdrive if you want to add texture to the tone you already have.

For raunchy overdriven sounds i really love the boost channel of the bassdrive in the Comp-Cut mode.

but I have to admit, after messing with some nice pedals, I'm currently thinking of buying a 2nd rack preamp to blend in for overdrive nowadays.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You could just use the Master Volume and Boost on the GK to overdrive or that still not get the tone you are looking for?
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The SABDDI has been a popular unit for a long time, but I'd go with the Para Driver for the semi-parametric mid. It still has the "Drive" control of the SABDDI, too.

I second Bass >> SansAmp >> Eden.
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What I do with my sansamp and my GK setup is this: level set for unity gain, then blend about 1 o'clock, bass at 12, treble at 11, drive at 3. I keep my volume turned down a bit on my bass for fiddling room, but this gives me some spectacular grind. It is one of my favortie settings. Works great with a band, and cuts through well.
  14. with my Kustom GB1200, I have been using an Ibanez TS9DX for my grit... usually, it just gets left on all night long. It will retain the lows & add as much dirt as you like. There are 4 settings to choose from, can't remember which I am using - but, I could get that info if anyone was interested.

I have tried several other OD pedals, the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive works well -- but, it didn't have any dirt to me... just colored boosts. My Fulltone Fat-Boost works good, but it is a very finicky(sp?) pedal.
  15. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    If I'm not wrong (I'm a complete SansAmp newbie) the bddi also comes in rackable form, whereas the para driver is only sold as a pedal? Anyway, my main concern is not to lose any tone "quality". Meaning that my rig cost me a few thousand bucks, so I don't want to "downgrade" the overall quality of the sound with a pedal. Do you think the sansamp will do justice to a warwick/eden/schroeder setup? It's just that I see mainly bassists with cheaper gear using sansamp...
  16. JES

JES Supporting Member

To me, the Sansamp has a pretty distinctive sound (scooped mids), whereas the Fulltone lets the sound of your bass through more. I own both, though and find them useful for different things. I'll repeat my advice above. If money is no object, go for the FullTone Bassdrive (or another boutique "overdrive" pedal more to your liking). To me, it's like running my bass through a hot SVT before going into the Eden (yes, I've played through an SVT too so I know what that sounds like).

17. gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
  18. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Dunno, I was just reading some reviews at harmony central and I saw raving reviews from bassists with cheaper gear, whereas some with more expensive stuff said complained about all basses sounding the same through the sansamp etc. Could be wrong..
  19. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Great, seems like exactly what I'm looking for! I saw your first post too but I didn't know fulltone until now. The price in Europe is exactly the same with the Sansamp para driver, so that's what I'll most probably get.
    edit: one question; in the fulltone site i saw the bassdrive is silver, whereas at a european online store i saw a blue bassdrive.. could that be an older model or something?
    edit2: ignore the question, should have searched first