1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me hear my combo better

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hey TBers! I'm looking for some advice, hopefully in the right forum....

I recently bought a combo amp for my smaller gigs but I want to bring the speaker closer or aim it at my ears rather than the back of my legs. I'm thinking of building some sort of contraption to either make it either a "tilt-back," or just a stand to raise it up (keep the speaker pointed straight) - as it's strictly a box and not a tilt-back style combo. (Yorkville Bassmaster xm200)

Is one way better than the other? Personal preference?

For reference, I work at a (kitchen) cabinet shop, and have a metal shop right next door, so I can make a stand out of whatever so materials won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.:bassist::bassist:

2. This is what I use. It does both.

Legacy Music

Fine with a Roland Cube CB100. Not strong enough really for a Peavey TNT but will do it given enough gaff.

3. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Jan 1, 2011
    I just picked one of these up this morning coincedentaly :)
    I paid £34 for it - around $53

Taking it to a gig tonight to see how it works out...

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Mount a spring loaded flip out handle to the the bottom of the cab, then you could simply flip it down and rest the combo on it to tilt.

5. Ooh I like that idea as well!

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Most amps, when propped such as with the handle idea, fall over backwards as soon as it's propped just right (which is why none of the wedges tilt the amp back far enough). Fender Tilt-Back legs would work. The previously mentioned stand would work (a number of brands have them). Or you can put a hinge on a piece of 1x4 and mount that to the back.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    There are several commercially made amp stands for this purpose that you could probably copy pretty easily.

8. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Really? It's only a few inches of height in the front, especially if the handle is mounted towards the front.

I've never done it myself, just heard the idea thrown around a bunch and always thought it was a nice and simple solution.

10. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
  11. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Pretty critical to get those speakers up to or pointed at ear height, otherwise, both you and the guitarists start cranking up the amps until you can. '

My experience is the other guy is cranking his up, letting the critical volume pass through his ankles and hit your ears, while you do the same.

Last gig, put my 115 combo on top of a 410 I intended to power up and use as I did in the same venue 60 days prior. Did sound check with just the 115 (GK with 200 watts) and wow. All I used. Of course, it was aimed at my head also. We also worked as lifting and moving back the guitarists's Fender twins. Much better balance this time. Room 60' wide x 100-120' deep.