Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME HELP ME PLEASE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Nov 30, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    This weekend in my town, 6 bands will be getting together for a 2 night holiday extravanganza. It is being held at the biggest club in town and is going to be the place to be this weekend. All money goes to The Empty Stocking Fund to help needy children. Anyway, at one point in the show, 2 members from the host band are getting together with one another band's guitarist and another band's drummer, and me, the bass player. We are going to record a live song for the benefit to sell. Its a Christmas song, but its a blues number one of the guys wrote. I have no idea how to play blues. What are some good blues riffs and interval patterns?????????

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Assuming it's a normal twelve bar blues here are som ecomon licks you play over ALL the chords. I'm assuming you know how to convert numbers to notes...i.e. take a C major scale:

C D E F G A B C
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

common lines for blues:

1 3 5 6 8 6 5 3

1 3 5 6 b7 6 5 3 (in C b7 is Bb)

1 5 b7 8

1 8 b7 5

Good luck

3. I tried tabbing things out, but it didn't work so I'm going to attempt to explain.

To add to what has already been said, here are some ideas for how to link the one chord to the four chord in the key of C. (That would be C to F)

C,D,D#,E

Then your ready to play a riff in the F chord.

For F back to the C chord, you could play

F,A,A#,B

Then you're ready to play C.

From C to G (I to V chord)

C,E,F,F#

Now you're ready to play G.

Hope this helps and hope it's understandable!

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    thank you both very much! this has been quite helpful.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

But JWC, do you know the structure of the twelve bar blues form and do you know how to play the turnaround?

Jason Oldsted

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State