Help me hook up my Eden Nav to my PLX and Speaker cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JerseyFunk, Jan 31, 2004.

1. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    OK...I've just put together my new rig after taking six years off from playing. It consists of a Eden Navigator preamp QSC PLX2402 and a Epifani 410UL. This is the first time I've had a seperate pre and power amp. I noticed that the output on the Nav is stereo (left and right outputs) do I need to use both or can I just run out of one? there's nothing in the instructions about this. How do I set up the PLX? I don't want to run bridged mono and I've been told I can just use one channel on the PLX. So how do the switches get set up? Are there any special cables I should use to connect the Nav to the PLX? This may seem like pretty basic stuff to most of you but I just want to make sure I don't release any smoke from the setup ;)
    This is what I'm thinking... just take a regular 1 foot 1/4" patch cable to go from either channel of the Nav (don't need to use both) to channel one of the PLX. Set the PLX to parallel then run the speakon cable from output channel one of the PLX to the cab. Sound right? I welcome any input you may have.

2. Nice rig...

Nav to PLX - you're ok there.
    PLX to cab - you're ok there.
    PLX parallel - no need to parallel, since you are not using both outputs.
    I'd recommend, on the PLX settings:
    Turn the clip limiter "on"
    set the filter to "on" "30HZ"

You're on your way. :) Tell us how you like the new rig, and show pictures. We like pictures. :D
  3. One more thing - I suggest setting the eq controls on the Navigator to "noon" at first. Provided that the tone from your bass is politically correct, Edens typically sound best with flat eq. And if you want to make changes, a little (twist of the eq knobs) goes a LONG way (toward changing the sound).

;) :)
  4. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Thanks for the help....just plugged everything in and it sounds great. However I noticed a lot of hiss coming from the preamp if the Treble and/or High knobs are moved past their neutral position. Maybe it had something to do with the cable I connected the preamp with. I'll look into it at a later date. It was just nice to move some air with that cabinet for the first time since I bought it 2 months ago. Here's the pic you asked for :D

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a similar setup, I use an Eden Nav with a PLX 3002 through Aguilar cabs. Good avice above, but I have a few more observations.

With an active bass, I typically set my pregain no higher than about 10:00 o'clock and my post gain no higher than 11:00 o'clock, then use the PLX to control the actual volume. Any higher settings on that with the Nav, and the sound gets a bit wooly and distorted. Using those settings, if you can't get enough headroom from your PLX using those settings, then consider bridging your PLX. If you're judicious, your cab won't have a problem with all that power. I feed 1500 watts into one of my 4x10's, and it loves it.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nice Fodizzle...
  7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've never had a Navigator preamp, but I've owned some other Eden heads. I believe the stereo outputs are for biamping, where you're splitting the lows and highs to two separate cabinets (using two power amps or both channels of a stereo amp). There should be a biamp/mono switch on the preamp. For your rig, it should be set to mono.

You should try to find the owner's manuals for your preamp and power amp.

Nice rig.

8. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Hi JD,
    I'm guessing the Eden Nav is set up a little differently than the amps . There isn't a Biamp/Mono switch. There's a Biamp/Stereo switch. BTW I read the instructions, Nothing in either manual showing how to use one cabinet (without using bridged mono). The outputs on the Nav are Left,Right and in biamp mode Hi,Low. But I hooked it all up using common sense (after getting the ok here) and everything seems to be working nicely. I was just worried that the preamp was designed to work in either true stereo or in Biamp mode only which would require both channels on the Nav to be used . Not the case.
    Manual shmanual.....Just kidding... read both, front to back but posted here just to be sure ;) Thanks for the input.