1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me hotrod my Marcus Miller IV

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Visirale, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I love this bass as far as fit and finish goes. The sound is great too, but I just want to get more out of it. I'm not much of a passive sound kind of guy. I respect it and use it when I'm just messing around with some old jaco stuff, but most of the time I have both pickups on full, or the neck at 100 and the bridge at 60 or 75. I usually keep it in active with a bass boost and a slightly smaller treble boost.

I was listening at basstasters and I really liked the sound of the Nordstrand NSJ4SE pickups. They are very clean sounding with big bottom. I like the more modern J sound. Are there other pickups that sound similar... preferably that cost less than the NSJ4SE (around $220?).

As far as the electronics go, I think I'll upgrade them at some point, but I'm not sure to what. I want to retain the active/passive option... but I'm just not sure about preamps.

Does anyone know what Hub from the roots is using in his jazz bass? I remember BP did an article a year or two ago about him, but I lost that issue...

Thank you pickup/electronic gurus, I appreciate it :D.

-Ted

2. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Put a East Marcus Retro Preamp in it.

Maybe Barts (I've heard that these sound killer on this bass).

Drop D tuner and the cool hex wrench holder on the back of the headstock!

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Wow, it's been a while since I looked at East's products. I didn't know they had one just for the marcus now. Seems pretty cool.

And thanks for the suggestion on the barts.. they are a lot cheaper than the Nordstrands. Hmm...

4. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I just put a set of barts 9j1 pickups in my jazz (not a marcus though), and they sound killer.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    What kind of killer? Old school single coil vibe killer or new school clean jazz bass killer?

6. I have a Marcus with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and an Aguilar pre. Sounds very nice...but, you can't go wrong with the Nordstrands. I have a set in a DJ5 and they are killer.

7. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Stan Hinesly Hot Js. I put som in my TBC Jazz Bass, and they have just an awesome tone. Do a search. Tim Lyons (TBer tplyons) put them in his Marcus Miller, and did a review. He was hooked.

I got them for $160 for the pair, www.has-sound.com.

8. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I'd classify them as a modern tone.

The bridge pickup is not as bright as some bridges can be. I think some bridge pickups are too bright and don't sound very good solo, but this has a very usable tone. It still sounds like bridge pup, just a tad warmer and smoother.

Add in the neck pup, which sounds great alone, and you've got a nice modern jazz tone.

I have a passive eq on them now, but I am soon planning on going with an active eq.

I hope this long winded explination helped.

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yes, thank you very much, I appreciate it :).

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
  12. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Springfield, MN
    I just (lastnight) installed a U-Retro Deluxe in my MM IV, took a little extra work, but it was well worth it!
    I purchased the preamp from Steve "Dude" Barr at the Dudepit a couple weeks ago, he had some smokin' deals on a bunch of East preamps.

Next mod is going to be a set of noiseless, stacked humbuckers.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    What are your impressions? The retro preamps almost seem too overkill for me. I like some versatility in sound, but that's a LOT of knobs, haha.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There are two slightly different dimensions for the Marcus control plate over the years. If you go with an East preamp, you'll want to verify the dimensions.

15. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Springfield, MN
    Yeah, your probably right! I really didn't care for the stock fender preamp, was actually planning on going passive... till I saw the U-Retro deluxe for $225 at the pit just over a month ago.
    As far as buying the Marcus Retro 01 Preamp for $325-$350.. probably wouldn't do it.