Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME!!! I AM JUST STARTING TO BUY EQUIPMENT!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 24, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I have absolutly no idea as to what I should buy in the way of recording equipment. I have talked to all kinds of people, some say cakewalk, some say tascam, some see the garage band thingy for macintosh. What should I do? Should I go Computer, or should I get some more or less "physical" stuff like massive mixers. My price range is about 400-450, and that is all. PERIOD. I have everything else set up, and I have a killer windows machine and a killer mac if I go computer. I don't have to much room, but I just don't know what I should use?

Oh yeah, just ask for any more info that I might need.

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a very simple set up that I like.
    I use a good windows machine. For sound card I use m-audio audiophile 2496. 2 in/2 ou analog and 2 in 2 out spdif. I paid 135 canadian for it. About 100 USD. THere is a recording program that came with it, that I haven't tried. For recording you can use adobe audition it's not expensive at all and you have over 500 meg of different loop. Dums, guitars, bass, keys ect...
    I plug my ME-50B direct in my sound card and my sound come back in my cheap behringer eurorack console. It does the job. I paid 30$ (used) for it.
    And if you have some money left you can buy good headphone and you are set.

3. Try ADOBE AUDITION (I know it can be downloaded from here, just right click and say save target as)

Erm... some kind of mixer - I've got a little Behringer :eek: one that I got on ebay...or you could buy an M-box which should do just fine (I dunno, there are LOADS of things to choose from...) :cool:

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    A buddy of mine just bought a tascam us122 and is happy with it. Comes with cubase le for free (48 tracks?). Only issue he had was with clicks in the audio, solved by using a powered usb hub (motherboard usb supply not adequate). Only about US $200 and a great way to get started and get some experience. Starting cheap & cheerful and upgrading when you have the experience to know what you want/need is a good way to go, imo.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    How many ins and outs do you need? This is a major factor. Assuming you only need a few, I'd recommend this:

M Audio Delta 44
    Cakewalk
    M Audio monitors

You should be able to pull this off for $450, especially if you get a used Delta 44.

6. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    3 ins and 4 outs.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Then I'd check out my recommendation. High quality gear at a very reasonable price. Just make sure you get some good monitors for mixdown.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Nobody mentioned microphones yet.

I'd get a simple 2-channel USB interface, ignore the bundled software, buy some decent cans and a copy of Cakewalk Home Studio, and spend the rest on the absolute best microphone I could afford afterwards. That way, even if your simultaneous track count is limited, your tracks sound good. Unless, of course, you're planning on going direct with everything...in which case I'd get the best monitors I could instead of cans. Just my opinion, what I would do, sort of thing of course.