Help me I.D. these Seymour Duncan J-pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BWB, Dec 27, 2004.

1. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Have an opportunity to pickup a MIJ Jazz Bass Special at a good price but I am puzzled by the pickups that are installed. They are Seymour Duncans and have three very small microswitches installed on each pickup, I assume to use for tone altering (the current owner of the bass said “it makes it sound different” – very scientific). I haven't actually plugged the bass into an amp to hear it yet...

I have scoured the Seymour Duncan website and done Google searches and can’t seem to figure out exactly what these are. Anyone have any ideas?

Unrelated: This bass also has a ‘Hipshot” installed for kicking the low string down to D, which looks to be an older Fender model. Definitely was not stock on this bass, it’s a different size tuning knob and is bare metal colored rather than black like the other hardware. Did Fender, in years past, make such a thing? This hipshot device looks old, older than the bass itself (which is an ’85 JBS). Any help?

I’m am probably going to buy it anyway, but want to find out what these pickups are about before I tell him I definitely want it.

Thanks in advance
  2. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    AJJ's and APJ's in my recollection. I've had several sets but it was before I started the reviews.