Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me!!!I need a new rig....BAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 15, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm saving up for a new rig.I need one REALLY bad.It'll be my first Cab/Head.I got $725 write now. I need a rig that can sound good,take low feq.,a trusted brand,solid-state,able to "over-power" a vicious drummer (at least 200 watts) and be verstatle.

I was going for the SWR WorkingMans 4004 and 410T package.But I dont know.I can get it for 945 bucks.I'm not sure about how good it really is.And I cant get Avatar cuz' my .....(uhhg..embarrassing..) mom wont "give her credit card number over the phone".I'm 17,I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't really go to a music shop much too often, and desperate for a new amp.

what can/should I get??

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    go used. Almost everyone on this site take emmaculate care of their gear, just check the wanted ads and you could find a great rig for that price. I hate it when people are like i need a 1000 watt monster head with an vintage 8x10 for $150. $725 is a great price to start with. I got my first good rig, a hartke 7000 and a hartke 4x10, for $500. Look used and youll find something great. If i were you id look for a used ampeg b2r and a used ampeg hlf or sumthing like that. Ive seen that setup used for around the price you want to spend.

3. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I cant order over the internet or phone in any way.All I can do is have this guy I now order stuff for me and give me a deal, or buy stuff from that store.All they got is peavey, and even though it's not a horrible brand I personally dont care for them soundwise.I'm seriously thinking the SWR rig,then gradually replace it with more proffesionall stuff.I got my whole life to do that so....I dont know....

4. for the amp check out a Yorkville XS400H or BM400H, they are great heads, with a really nice sound and they have a good amount of power.

http://www.gear1music.com/yorbasam.html

and then head on over to http://www.avatarspeakers.com and have a look at their B410 cab. they are the best bang for buck speakers cabs around. very solid and reliable. have been using 2 avatar cabs for about 2 years now and they have always worked great for me.

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    " And I cant get Avatar cuz' my .....(uhhg..embarrassing..) mom wont "give her credit card number over the phone". "

"I can't order over the internet or phone in any way.All I can do is have this guy I now order stuff for me and give me a deal, or buy stuff from that store."

6. You could always take your $$ to 7-11 or a bank and get a Cashier's Check, and mail it to somebody. Or get a Secure PayPal account (not credit cards...it's through your bank account) and just PayPal somebody.

The SWR Workingman's stuff is good, reliable stuff. You could also go with Peavey. For living in the sticks, you want something that can be serviced at whatever local mom-n-pop store that's nearby, or by any competent electronic technician. You don't want to be thinking about boutique stuff.

/edit Sorry, just re-read that you don't care for Peavey's tone. SWR won't let you down. You could also consider and Ampeg B2-R and the SWR cab. Mix-n and match-n is always an option to get the components you want.