Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME. I PLAY ELECTRIC AND AM PICKING UP UPRIGHT ON WENSDAY!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by slapnuts, Aug 25, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Hey,

I NEED HELP :help: :eek: . I currently play Tuba and electric bass. I play Tuba in our school's band. Now, see, our orchestra teacher is in desperate need of some upright players, she only has 2 in an orchestra of about 50 or 60 people. I have only played finger style is some shops, and that was just me being slapnuts and noodling around. My sister, who plays cello, has just told me a few things about bow holds, but that is all I know. I am starting 2 or 3 years late on upright, I DO PLAY ELECTRIC FOR 2 OR 3 YEARS, and I have almost no idea as to what I need to do. I am on a budget, but the school is giving me a break on rent of the string bass cause i play tuba also, which are in high demand. I NEED HELP, TIME IS OF THE ESENCE

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I know it's expensive, but find yourself a teacher.

:)

3. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I got a teacher, I just need some good advice.

4. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    They are in desperate need of a bassist, yet they are making you rent one?

Anyway, I know people are going to tell you to get a teacher, and if you aren't good at teaching yourself, then yes, you should get a teacher.

Get some Pop's Rosin, a tuner/pitchpipe/piano to tune to, Simandl New Method for Double Bass Book I, and get one of the other 2 bassists to help you out with learning basic notes and a decent bow hold.

5. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Thanks for the advice.

One of the 2 other bassists are going to help out, but I just had no idea about what I would need. The other 2 bassists are kinda, well, *idiots*. jk. jk. But I think I may be past them and they don't understand what I need. But Now I know of 1 book and that I need to get rosin. Thanks a lot.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But why aren't you asking your teacher for advice, then? :confused:

7. And is your teacher an upright or BG teacher? They may be tuned the same way and play the same basic role in music, but they are two totally different instruments.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you can only afford to take lessons on "one" instrument, perhaps try to find someone who is proficient on both BG and DB (like someone who doubles on gigs a lot), so maybe you could split the time and end up paying the same amount.

Or give up BG lessons and just take double bass. I personally think electric bass is easier to self-teach than upright.

People who pick up double bass usually say the toughest adjustment is the strength it takes, especially in the lower positions where everything is so much bigger on DB. Just listen carefully, focus on the intonation and the quality of sound you are producing, and NEVER settle for crappy tone just because it's easy. By being harsh on yourself and listening critically to everything you play, you'll get better much faster.

Have your teacher make sure you are holding everything correctly. Those simple habits are the most important ones to develop early. Also, get a CD or two by Edgar Meyer or Gary Karr. Listen to the sound they get, and see if you can try to get close to that too. Find something you like listening to and try to replicate it yourself.

Again just use your ears to your best advantage. I hope you have good ones... without that it will take you a long time to develop.

edit: In case no one tells you this, make sure you loosen your bow when you are done playing. And keep the instrument in its case whenever it isn't in use.

edit2: Always, always, always make sure your bass is PERFECTLY in tune before you start playing. That way if something sounds wrong you know it's your fault.

9. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Well, I am completly self taught on electric bass, so lessons, IF I END UP NEEDING THEM, are no problem. I just really had pretty much no idea what to expect and what i need to get. I have some stuff that needs to get done, but it can be held off. I like to plan a head, so that is what i meant by a "budget". And thanks for the advice thus far. Well, only two whole days, or three, i can't count. to go.

Thanks for all you do.
    The one and only slapnuts.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Huge +1 here. Slapnuts, this stuff is gold. Good luck! :)

PS: Sucks that you've gotta rent the bass...any way you can get out of paying for it? I mean, you are kinda doing them a favour. It's not like you're begging them to let you play upright.

11. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Hey guys.

Sorry it took so long to respond. My ISP was screwing with me. Anyways; contrary to what I was told, the school is supplying me with absolutly everything that i need. I guess I am fine then.

Thanks for all you do.

HAPPYNESS IS THE KEY TO ALL EXISTENCE.

IF YOU DON'T LOVE YOUR LLAMAS, YOU DON'T LOVE YOU MAMA

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :)