Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me ID This *cheap* Yamaha Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It's very close to an RBX-170 except it has only a P-pickup. Volume, Tone, and output jack, black lightweight body and a bolt-on neck with rosewood fingerboard.

The serial number begins with an 'M' and it doesn't indicate where it might have been made (but it wasn't the US or Japan ...) and I suspect it sold for under $200 new; I paid $80 in fair condition. Surprising, it sounds pretty good.

Any guesses ?

2. David Okun

David Okun

Apr 10, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have that exact bass (the one in the link) in my room right now

Got it for free from a friend, and its a great beginner bass.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Gotoh 201 bridges are a direct drop-in

Bad*** II's will fit as well, but hang over the end of the body :spit:

...and the countless P-pup replacements out there :ninja:

4. If it is an older model, it could be an RB-150.

I recently cleaned up one that a friend had sitting in his storage shed for a couple of years...even with semi-dead strings...It sounded VERY good...and with a little "tweeko-di-action" it played pretty nice, too.

I'm looking to find one in a pawn shop or something for cheap...i'd get one in a heartbeat.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Thanx to all. It's a dead ringer for the RBX-260 pictured. I found on the back in says it was made in Taiwan.

I put an hour or so into cleanup and starting bringing the action to where it should be. It's really not a bad little axe!

6. Is the output jack at the same surface with the pickup? Meaning you will be plugging in towards your body direction when playing the bass.

If it is, then I suspect its the Yamaha Starter Pack's Bass, which I can't find any information about a while ago:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-106729

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The jack is surface mounted like a P-Bass with no pickguard. That decribes the bass, but so does the RBX-260.

Short of using the SN, I may not get much closer.

8. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    That looks exactly like my 260, except mines green. It was my first bass i got four and a half years ago, and I still love it. I've sold everythign else but that, partly because it's my first, but it plays better than any bass I've owned except for my Fender Marcus Miller which ended up paying rent and a deposit half a year ago. Can't go wrong with it, though i'm still not the crazy about it looks, but it's my "old faithful".
    -Kyle