Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me ID this Fender Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just played a wonderful jazz bass. It was US-made and I was told it was an early 90´th reissue of a 62 j-bass, but it had the volume-volume-tone controls and not the stacked controls.
    The serialnumber on the neckplate said V091806.
    How old is it? Where these made with vol-vol-tone controls or is it a later mod?
    It played and sounded fantastic. And I love black/tortoise j-basses. It was in almost mint condition. Should I jump on it?
    The price was about avarage of a used 62 reissue in Sweden.

2. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I checked the mr gearhead.com website ( fenders technical helpsite) and it says V+6 digits puts it made in 96-97. I say if it plays and sounds great, and the price is decent, snap it up. I haven't really heard many bad things about the mij re-issues.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Its made in the US, not mij.;)

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is a little conflict here in that U.S. vintage series basses used "V" + six digits from 1989 to 1999 and Fender also used "V" + six digits on MIJ basses in 1996 and 1997.

If the bass is labeled made and USA, it probably is. If you have any reason to believe otherwise, you might remove the control cover to see if there are any numbers on the pots. Fender or one of the various Fender enthusiast sites might help you ID those numbers. I am not certain that there would be numbers on the pots of that bass.

But, I would think it almost certain that it is indeed a US. Vintage series jazz.

I am not absolutely sure, but if I were guessing bassed on Fenders conventional serial numbering system, I would guess it to be made in 1990.

All that being said, if you like the sound and feel and price, buy it. Who cares when it was made.

Chas

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just wanted to make sure everything was original so I dont get scrued...
    Ive never seen a US62 with vol-vol-tone configuration.
    Its in a vintagestore so I guess they know where its made. It said US62 RI 90´th on its tag. So I thought it was made somewhere in the 90´th and not exactly 1990.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My interest is sparked. I did a little web snoop and was unable to find a RI '62 without stacked pots. I found at least three from years claiming to be from 1989 to 1993. All were stacked.

I would inquire at bit more before purchase. Maybe you could post a question at the fender forum?

chas

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    At the Fenderforum I read that the US62 reissues sent to Japan had 3-knobs controlplate.
    So maybe a few where shipped to Europe too.:confused:

8. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Yes, Fender did export 3-knob configurations to Japan as that's what people wanted. The only other 3-knob factory '62RI Jazzes I know of are the IBM w/matching headstock run that Fender did for Mars Music last year.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yet another solved mystery.

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have a 1991 US 62 Reissue Jazz Bass. The serial number on it is V051594. FWIW my bass was made in early 1991 (February). The knob configuration is strange, although I have heard of others replacing the stack knobs. That is likely what happened with this bass. Can you post pics of this bass? The other telltale giveaway for a 62 RI is the brass strip running from the bridge pickup to the bridge. Based on the serial number I think that you have the real thing. If you're really suspicious you can ask to see the date stamp on the heel of the neck.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Is there any convention to the serial number system? I guessed 1990 because the first number was a 0 (zero). Just like N7XXXXX would be a 1997.

Chas

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I havent got any pics to post but it does have the brass strip running from the bridge pickup to the bridge. It looks like a 62RI in every way except for the 3-know config. Inkl reverse tuners, aged neckfinish, thumbrest and the right decal.

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think that the vintage reissues follow a different system than that used by the rest of Fender's American production. The numbers denote order in production and that's about it I believe. Sort of like the original Fenders I guess.