Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me ID this Jazz Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Jul 29, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    During lunch, my son & I visited a local pawn shop, & found a somewhat abused Fender Jazz Bass. Not sure what year it was, but the serial number started w/ a D.

Interesting things I noticed were:
    1) Pups - they were a single exposed pole, per string. The pawn shop guy swore up & down they were stock. I've NEVER seen a jazz bass w/ only one exposed pole pups.
    2) The Fender logo on the headstock - It wasn't a decal, it was a silver-ish, glued on thing, which was probably made of plastic...
    3) Tuning Machines - Not useful for ID purposes, but it had hipshot ultralites, with a drop d machine.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

what was the shape of the body? was it a jazz shape or a percision shape? or other?

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Jazz... thought I said it was a jazz bass...

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds like he's BSing you on the pickups. Never HEARD of a jazz with single-pole-per-string config.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

it seems to be late 1981 to early 1982. thats the D prefix.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It needs work... whoever put on the hipshots, did a hack job, it needs setup VERY badly... BUT, a little bit of TLC & it could be nice.

Here's what has me very curious... Those pups... Refuse to believe they were stock.. They looked like the neck pup out of an MTD Kingston Heir. They can't possibly be stock, can they?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    YEA! EXACTLY! Now, we didn't take a listen, so, they might be ok, they might suck...

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    My old Mexican Active J string had pups with a single pole per string. But it was a 2000 or 2001 model. Good luck man.

9. And before about 2000 or so, American Deluxes had one pole per string pickups. They were the precursor for the Noiseless series. Sound really good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pickups look anything like these? Also note the lite tuners, not sure if they're Hipshots but they sure are smaller than the old cloverleafs. That bass is an American Deluxe circa 98.

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0136760

My guess is it's one of the active Jazzes, MIM Deluxe series. Probably modded with the new tuners and new decal. Serial numbers for the deluxe series should start with D, I believe.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If fender is anything like Gibson, call em with the seriel number and they can tell you just about everything that came on it. I called Gibson once with a guitar seriel number, they told me when it was made, what number is was off the floor, knew it had p-90 pickups in it and where it was originally shipped. Maybe Fender has a similar deal, just a thought.

11. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    It's a deluxe like stated before. The pickups and logo are right for that model.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never seen a plastic, glued on logo, but I agree about the pickups. It is either a MIM Deluxe Active, or perhaps an MIA Deluxe active, pre 2001.

13. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    I have a MIA deluxe (98 or 99) that has that silver logo.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 98 with the same chrome silver logo, and the John Suhr electronics with single slug polepieces. Very good sounding bass. Sound superb with my Sansamp BDDI, and sounds great without it!

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The guy in the shop said he thought it was around a 98... So, this follows.

Thx guys...

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What's he askin for it?

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, he's ASKING $499...

18. If it sounds almost as good as the MIA Deluxe, you can have a great bass for 500 bucks. You can probably even haggle the price lower considering you showed doubt about its integrity.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, that's the point. I've never seen a pawn broker who wouldn't haggle down. Besides, it really does need some clean up...