Help me ID this old Kustom speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jefkritz, Jul 31, 2019.

1. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Hi All,

I was given a homemade 1x15 cab years ago, and am wondering if anyone knows anything about the speaker:
    serial.jpg

I can see that it's apparently an old Kustom 15" speaker, but I haven't been able to find anything else in my searching.

The cab is just okay. I never use it, as I have a 212 I love. I've been thinking about trying to build a better tuned housing for it, but am not sure if it's worth the effort.
    Any love / hate / other feelings on this speaker? If it's a meh speaker, maybe I'll just hang on to it until I find someone who really needs it.

Current state, fwiw:
    closed.jpg
    open.jpg

In case it matters, there was fiberglass padding inside when I got it, but it was really gross so I took it out. I intended to replace it, but it didn't sound any different with it out, so I left it without padding.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Well, web search turned up nothing on that part number. The 8-16 ohms marking is something I've never seen before. Speakers of this vintage weren't typically designed for bass frequencies or high wattage. Maybe Kustom has some info in their archives?
    [email protected] or [email protected]
    www.vintagekustom.com looks like it might be a useful resource as well.

As far as the cabinet goes, right now it's a baffle with a box. Looks well made but incomplete. I think it was supposed to have a shelf port along the bottom ala TL606, but without more knowledge about the speaker characteristics your only recourse is experimentation with the shelf depth.

jefkritz likes this.
  3. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    There should be a manufacturer ID number and manufacture date code on the frame. Chances are it's a generic musical instrument driver from one of the many that made them in the 60s and early 70s, like Utah and CTS. It probably pre-dates T/S specs, the cab too. The lack of a duct on the port isn't unusual, ducts didn't come into common use until T/S designed cabs started appearing in the mid 70s.

jefkritz likes this.
  4. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    8-16 ohms? Does it have dual voice coils?

jefkritz likes this.
  5. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    @abarson - great idea on contacting Kustom! They've already replied and they've said they'll see what they can do.

Also, thanks for the insight about it being a "baffle in a box". Do you have any suggestions for building the shelf port? I've searched a bunch, but couldn't find anything that actually says how to do it... Do I just extend the piece of wood going backwards at the bottom of the baffle? And then keep cutting it shorter until it sounds good? I'm down with experimentation if that's the general idea.

@Rick James - are you saying there's more information on the front of the speaker itself? I can unscrew it from the baffle, but this would probably mean I'd have to take the grill cloth off to get the speaker back on, which is a job that I'd like to avoid if it's not necessary.

@Rooster009 - I have no idea. Is there some way I can check for this?

Thanks all for the input! I already have some better ideas about how to proceed.

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    CTS used square magnets back in the day...

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    @Rick James and @Rooster009 are alluding to the same hypothesis, a single speaker with two voice coils, one for highs and one for mids/lows. A dual coil speaker would usually have two sets of wire terminals, one for each voice coil. I don't see that in the pictures you provided.

This page provides some information on where to locate speaker manufacturer codes. I can't pick it out from your photos. Speaker Codes & Applications

You grasped the basic idea behind the shelf port. Measure the internal volume of the cabinet and the distance from the bottom panel to the braces on the two sides. Someone with design experience would be able to give you some tips where to start at, but without knowing more about the speaker you're just as well experimenting as you described. The fact that the builder bothered to paint black that area below the braces strongly suggests a shelf port. Maybe there's some old markings how long it used to be?

After that, you still might need to reline the interior to get to sound right.

jefkritz likes this.
  8. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    They're not the only ones by a long shot.

jefkritz likes this.
  9. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Thanks all for your help figuring this out!

I'll add updates when I have a chance to experiment with this. Having a two year old somewhat hampers shop time these days (not to mention testing cabinets...) :)

10. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Jules Meuffels likes this.
  11. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    KEI stands for "Kustom-Eminence Integrated." Apparently the folks in Chanute were - in the early 1970s - contracting with Eminence and rebranding the drivers. This one doesn't have dual voice coils; its impedance is likely around 12 ohms.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021