Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me ID This Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Today, I was really impressed by a Peavey bass I played. It was called a Millennium and it was made in the USA. It had a Lakland 44-94 style pickup layout with a j in the neck position and a MM at the bridge. It has volume, a pan pot, and a three band eq with one stacked pot. The finish was very nice: q quilted top with a lavender/purple finish. The bridge was through the body and the tuners were Hipshot with a D-tuner on the e-string. The neck was bolt-on with a five bolts.

The bass really sounded great. It definitely has a Lakland sort of vibe, and it came fairly close to a Stingray sort of vibe much like a 55-94 or 44-94. Best of all the price was around $524. The bass is new but it has been in the store since at least the beginning of this year. Even for a Peavey, that's a good price for USA made active bass with some great features. Help ID and date this bass.

2. That bass could be brand new, as it's still in production. Does it have a sweepable mid-range? That could be one of the things showing that it is fairly new.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll confess my ignorance. I'm not sure if I know what a sweepable midrange is. It might be a new bass or a discontinued bass because I did not see on the Peavey website or at the Musicians Friend website.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Nope. The USA Millenniums (which I think you played) have been out of production for a couple years now. Their list was around $1600 (with case). For whatever reason they didn't do well.

The Millenniums being made now are "BXP" versions. Made overseas. Not nearly the bass the USA version was, but still very nice for about a $299 street.

Here's a pic of a USA version I used to own.
    [​IMG]

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks Phatbasstard. The fact that these basses are discontinued explains their great price. Peavey often seems to have hard luck with their higher end basses because players always associate that company with "cheap" products. That is really unfortunate with this bass because it really nails the 55-94/55-02 sound plus it is very solidly constructed. I had been looking at Laklands and Bongos, but this bass is such a great deal, I'd have a hard time justifying spending more.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I didn't like it as much as my Cirrus, which is why I re-sold it. The one in the pic had the premium "Tiger Eye" maple top. I picked it up Brand New w/ case for only $500. It played great, I just liked the sound of my Cirrus better.

Although some Cirrus owners have had the (USA) Millennium pre-amp installed.:meh: :cool:

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    On 8/2/2004 Peavey bass forum moderator A.J. Johns wrote that the USA Millennium is being re-introduced and will be in Peavey's new catalog. It is not on their website at this time. I love mine and would be delighted to see it make a comeback!

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If they are going to reintroduced, I better get one while they are still out of production because new ones will force the price back up. Another store in my area has a five string USA Millennium so I might see if I can work a deal there also.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I strongly suggest that you buy that Peavey. The domestic Millenniums are excellent and at a mere $524, it’s a steal (I've never seen one priced under a grand!). I agree with PhatBasstard that the Cirrus does have an edge on the Millennium. But still, the Millennium is a great bass (keep in mind; I'm talking about the domestic ones, not the cheapie imports). I think my only beef with the Millennium is the neck is a bit on the wide thin, metalhead side for my taste. But at that price and given the high quality, I'd adjust for it.

Oh, and a special thanks to PhatBasstard for yr name. Soon as I read it, I burst out laughing here at the office. It’s a crappy day and I needed the laugh!

r

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It does seem to have that effect.....
    That and the face my 6 year old Son is making in the avatar.:D

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would agree that the Cirrus is better than the USA Millennium also, but the Cirrus IMO is in the Fodera, Ken Smith league of Basses. Once again, it's a Peavey and it doesn't get its due. Still the USA Millennium is definitely in same league as a Lakland Skyline or maybe close to a Music Man. I'm going to my local dealer today to ask my local dealer (with whom I've done a fair amount of business) to hold that bass for me until my payday.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, mine was better than any MM I've tried. Plus the USA Millennium has all the premium components as a USA Lakland, including the Graphite reinforced neck, which the Skyline series does not.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It has graphite reinforced neck too?! Damn, I've hit the jackpot! Thanks for all the information Phatbasstard! Next week I'm getting me a certified slap machine! :bassist: :bassist: :hyper:

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I preferred the Millennium 5 to any Stingray 5 I tried also. I don't particularly agree that the Cirrus is nicer. To me it's more of a bolt-on, traditional sound (Millennium) vs. a neck-thru, more modern sound (Cirrus). Fit, finish, fretwork etc. are all top notch on the Millennium. :)

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was able to check out a USA Millennium V and I think that it is very comparable to a Stingray V or especially a Bongo with the single coil/humbucker combination. The Millennium had a very good b-string and the overall quality and sound are definitely first class. I A/B'ed the USA Millennium with a Lakland 55-94 and the Lakland was a just bit more versatile tone wise because of the coil splitting switch that the Lakland has for its humbucker. The Lakland also has a better B-string too. Still considering that the Peavey is $721 and a new Stingray is $1100-1400 and 55-94 runs $2,600-3,000, it is an incredible deal.

Personally, I will pick up the USA Millennium four that I first noticed at another store. That particular bass is really a deluxe model with a killer finish and Hipshot tuners plus a D-tuner. It will easily be the best four that I will have owned in the last twelve years. :bassist: :hyper: :D

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Almost forgot:

Millenniums (USA) 4s and 5s are both 35" scale.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I picked up that USA Mililennium four string today. I really need to find some way to post it because you guys need to see how good looking it is. I think this will be a really great bass, it get a really aggressive psuedo Stingray sound and a good Lakland sound. I think that 35" scale comes in handy with the Hipshot because the E-string is floppy at all when I drop it to D.

I have decided, however, that I will have to get a real Lakland, either a 55-02 or 55-94 if my ship comes in. That is by no means a knock on USA Millennium which is a great bass on its own terms. It's just that against my wishes almost, I have become a Lakland fan and there is no point fighting it. I just have no idea how I can justify three basses because getting rid of my Tribute is a no go. That bass is just too solid and versatile, it's the kind of bass that a person could dump for a more sexy instrument only to regret it later. Oh well, any new purchase is many months or even a year or two away, I'm gonna slap the heck out of my Millennium for now! :bassist:

18. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    When yr ready to sell that puppy, do us the service of posting it here first to give one of us finanically impaired a chance to snatch it! In the meantime, bon apetite, you lucky sonavagun!

Oh! And for crying out loud, pictures, man! Let's have some pictures!

r

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    DGCE, the problem is that now that I have a Tribute and USA Millennium, I really have the Fender/Music Man sort of sound covered. Although I intend to get a Lakland, in all honesty I don't need one now. That's why although I may let the Tribute or Millennium go eventually, there is no real rush on my part because I nowhave all the sounds I really like.

20. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well, good Dr., at least treat us to some pics! You've got me pretty curious about yr find though I have a general idea what it must look like. Fair enough?

Say, a little off the subject. Peavey now has the Cirrus model with maple neck and fingerboard. This was something you use to only see on the Millennium. At first I was a little put off. The conventional Cirrus seemed proportioned adequately with all that exotic wood yet some how this maple neck axe seemed...dinky. It did have a snazzy flamed, aqua-ish maple top (ala Millennium, yet again!). Well, I tried this 4 string out and was totally blown away by it. The neck was a dream! So comfy yet substantial. This axe screamed top-draw quality. I was in love, and then what did I see?...the $1,400 price tag. Yikes.

Dr. Cheese, you are INDEED, a lucky sonavagun scoring that US Millennium for under $600.

r