1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me ID this Vintage Fender Cab!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jayson, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Jayson

Jayson

Sep 27, 2011
    Hannibal, Missouri
    1966 Fender Bass cabinet

Do want, but does anybody know anything more about it? Haven't contacted the seller directly yet- just a voicemail.

Opinions or experience would be helpful too! I need more than my 1x15, but I also REQUIRE mojo, and I'm thinking maybe this is the ticket!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Pass. They were 2x12, loaded with guitar drivers, and couldn't even take 50 watts without farting out.

3. Jayson

Jayson

Sep 27, 2011
    Hannibal, Missouri
    That's depressing. What were they called?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't know what they were called, but Fender never made good bass cabs till the 90's, and speakers in 1966 did sound really good but they couldn't take much power. I can pretty much guarantee you won't be able to get as loud as your current 115 with it.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's probably a bandmaster cab; too big and goofy for guitar, too shallow and weak for bass.

skip it.

6. I'm prolly wrong, but it looks like and old showman cab to me. Two 15's. If it is, wouldn't it have JBL'S? I had a 2x12 61 and it didn't have the extra handels at the ends.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The speakers look a little small for the box to be 15"s.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    plus, the showman cabs were actually smaller, and meant to lay on their sides with the head bolted on to them, using kick-back legs to angle them up.

that cab looks like the much dumber bandmaster, which had two dinky 12s in a gigantic empty box, meant to stand vertical with the equally dumb bandmaster head (low 35-40 watts, but with a solid-state rectifier) sitting on top.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Dual Showman cabinet is a 2x15...that's what Nugent used to pile his Twin Reverbs on.

Looking at that photo, I can't decide whether it's a Bandmaster cabinet (2x12) or a Dual Showman cabinet. With shiny domes they could be JBLs.

Did the seller give you any overall dimensions of the cabinet?

When it was made, there was a plate on the back that said what it was...any idea if that's still there?

10. If the cab is loaded with 12's it could be a Bassman or Bandmaster, 15's would mean a Dual Showman. FWIW, Fender cabs were identified, as to what they were, on the rear plate that held the input jack...although the paint could be worn off...
    ...in any event, whatever it is, it won't take a ton of power. I had a 70's Bassman 2 x 15 cab with JBL's; it was ok with a Bassman 100 head, but a very unhappy camper when pushed with 250 Peavey watts. I sold it.

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Back in those days you'd play this stuff then plug into a B-15 and go OH! These Ampeg people know bass. Unless you're a collector it's a lot to move around for not much return. At this angle the speakers look too small but it seems, seems, to be a Dual Showman. It seems to be taller than those standup bassman/bandmaster cabs.

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Fender Bassman. It appears by the size of the shadow effect on the grille that they're 12 inch loaded. If it was a Dual Showman loaded with 15 JBLs you'd see the aluminum domes. It's possible that it's a Bandmaster, the Bassman and Bandmaster cabs were the same. The Bandmaster was rated for less power, but Fender being Fender I wouldn't count on anything actually being different save the nameplate. I don't think it's a '66 either, if memory serves the '66 was still the smaller cab that sat lengthwise. I believe the larger upright version was introduced in '68. Those had Silverface grilles and trim, but it could have been an early version before the Silverface cosmetics came along.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Bill, I see the domes.:) Just saying.:) Yet the diameter looks less than 15".

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Go visit it with a phillips screw driver. Pull the back and examine the drivers. My vote is for a dual showman with JBL D130 15s.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I must say that my Dual Showman with 2 D140F's killed any 1966 era B-15 for volume. Believe me, I used both a lot in the late 60's. That is not to say either one was in the least bit adequate for the levels bands were playing then. They were were not. :spit:

16. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Had a Bassman in mid-late 70s that looked like that, with 3 straps like that I remember. My current GK MB 115 would blow it out of the water and is prolly 1/3 of the total weight of the head and large useless cabinet..... of course, you measure the volume, find some hi performing bass speakers to match and replace with, add tuned ports, consult with BFM, ..... maybe, but why bother? As I also remember, it may have fit in the spacious trunk of the '73 Delta 88 I could borrow from my dad.

I don't remember any kind of special tone from that amp either, except I could also play my guitar through it. (traded a twin for it). Lots of pros were using Twins and Showmen for shows, but a smaller Fender, 30-50 watts, in the studio, in order to have something small enough to overdrive for that special "tone".

17. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If those were JBLs the domes should be quite obvious, being four inches diameter.
    If they are they're guitar drivers.

18. Actually the big secret was more times than not a SE 6V6 Fender Champ practice amp. 5 watts into an 8" speaker. Pure gold for overdrive tone.

19. that's a 2x15, i can tell by the size of the handles and metal corner protectors.

20. [​IMG]

looks kinda like this one...

i think it had JBLs in it