1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me identify an ibanez please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TFunkadelic, Apr 9, 2006.

1. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    I recently picked up an Ibanez SDGR for $150 (played better than my fender and wasn't too spendy so I decided to get it.) I'm trying to figure when it was made, and the original MSRP so I can find out tif I got swanked. It's in good condition all around. It has active pick ups and the two on the top say "AFR-P" and the one on the towards the bottom says "AFR-J".

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    The first two digits of the serial number should tell you when it was made. What model is it? It should say on the back of the headstock? From the picture it looks almost like a GSR200 or SR300DX?

3. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    It is a serial number F626627 made in Japan...

4. Eddie95Z28

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Are there any leading zero's or is that the whole number?

5. Eddie95Z28

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
  6. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    I'm not sure if it's an SR800 or not, because all it says anywhere, other than the serial and pick up numbers, is SDGR, and below that, "soundgear by ibanez"

7. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    You might find the model number stamped on the neck in the neck joint area (you'll need to take the neck off, obviously). My SR600 has it stamped there.

8. danny17

danny17

Aug 16, 2004
    Hi. You can be sure it's an SR800. Those babies have the serial number stamped, but not the model number. Can't really figure out why. I have a newer one, had an older one exactly like yours (same brigde style) which I sold, and also had an SR885 (five strings), all three with the same property. No model number.

The only other SoundGear that might match your picture is the mid 90's SR500, also with AFRs (Active Full Range) and vari-mid preamp (total 6 knobs, 2 stacked), but it's korean made, does not have the painted neck (I guess your bass has it), has metal knobs, and has the model number stamped above the serial number. So discard it.

Your bass should have been made from 90 to 95, I think, because of the bridge stye. I can't clearly see it in the photo, but I guess it has 3 adjustment screws for the hole bridge height, being each saddle height fixed (no individual screws).

By the way, 150$ seems like a really good deal to me.

I have a Musicman Sterling, a MIA Fender Jazz, and the SR800, and there are a lot of things about that particular Ibanez that I really love.

9. I agree with the SR800 verdict. Nice buy, Japan made Ibanez's are some of the best basses on the market. I wish that they would move more of their production back to Japan.

lowsound

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SR800. MIJ, I can see the stacked knobs, and I've seen that blue color enough times on ebay.

I love mine, I can say that much. You probably got as good a deal as I did - I got mine (green) for 190 with a HSC shipped.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Does it have a finished neck or is the back of the neck just a clear coat?

And a closer look at the neck pocket from the front will help us out.

But I'm pretty sure it's an SR800.

12. dmixs

dmixs

Feb 27, 2009
    i have the exact same one its an sr 500

13. dmixs

dmixs

Feb 27, 2009
    mine is green and i also paid 150 i love it
    Its mint