1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identify my Bartolini J pick-ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Larmer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. So I bought a Bogart Blackstone bass.
    It has Bartolini pick-ups which I've been thinking of replacing, but before doing that, I would like to know what model they are?
    The bass is from the middle 90's, and I believe the pick-ups are original.

IMG_0393.

I took them out, and this is what's carved on the neck PU:
    IMG_0465.

And on the bridge PU:
    IMG_0466.

Any help would be appreciated :hyper:

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    9w4's are no longer made. they are linear quad coil humcancelers(one coil per string). they are sought after and you could make some €'s if you sell them. these are from the good ole days of bartolini.

they're usually low output and generally require a preamp. I had a set with the venerable TBIBT preamp back in the 90's and it rocked!

3. Thanks, that didn't take long! Mind if I ask how did you know what they were? From the markings/carvings?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask, but if I were to sell the pair, how much would be a decent price for them?

I was thinking of replacing them with Status J pick-ups, and the pre-amp with a John East.

And by the way, here's what the pre-amp looks like, is it Bartolini too?

IMG_0456.
    IMG_0458-1.

The blue 'box' doesn't indicate a model nor a serial number.

Pots are Volume, Pick-up Pan, and a stacked bass/treble.

4. Could you also explain how this differs from a regular J pick-up (=read, what makes them special from current Bartolini J's?)

I'm the most uneducated person when it comes to electronics :bag:

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    hate to sound condescending, but it says 9w4 on the pup :bag:
    current bart buckers 9J1 have 2 coils, one per 2 strings. the 9w4 quads are similar, but have one individual coil per string. the 9w4's also have a lower impedance and usually mated to an active pre; they really sounded weak when wired passive. 9w4's are very quiet and have great mid range presence. They are also related to the old 94j's that bartolini was famous for making back in the day.

the pre not so sure.
    if it is an old NTBT or TBIBT look for orange brown purple wires on the bass and the treble

6. :bag:

Of course! Silly me, I didn't think for a second that the carvings could've been upside down.

Here are the wires on the bass/treble pot:
    IMG_0501.

Orange, red and brown for treble + yellow, green and blue for bass.

Does this tell anything about the model yet?

Also about the value, a regular set of Bartolini J's would cost you around 120$, right?
    Could I possibly get around that for them at ebay?

7. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    sorry, the colors on the pre don't ring a bell.
    hell, go for broke, I'd try for $150-$180

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  9. I got a message from the manufacturer, check it out:

Thank you Redleg for all the help! This case has been solved.
    Anyways, I'm still thinking of replacing the pick-ups and pre-amp. That'll be my next quest.

I'm looking for a more "crystal clear, hifi & a modern" sound.

Even though it has a graphite neck and a synthetic body, it doesn't have a sound as harsh as you could think.

I think that's mainly because of the Barts and pre-amp. Although if I'm wrong, I command someone to correct me.
    I've heard Bartolini's often being described as warm sounding pick-ups, so I guess combined with the pre-amp, the possible over-the-top "harshness" is compensated.

I love Status basses. I've owned three of them. Therefore I've thought of purchasing Status J pick-ups and having them installed.

And what happens with the Barts?

Well, I'm getting a short-scale SX jazz bass as a birthday/christmas present in January, so I'll probably try them on that:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2jrnaash.html

Should be interesting :smug:

10. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Glad to see my old memory of stuff isn't faded yet. It is a shame that you haven't taken a liking to the 9w4/noll sound. That is one of the winning combos from the old warwick days.

If your looking for hifi clear, EMG is a great way to go for cheap. A lot of people can't stand EMG, but I like them in the right bass. In my old Modulus, the EMG's sounded fantastic.

I will close with "expensive and new isn't always better"

Cheers