1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identify my flats + suggestion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mingus_Habens, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Hi,
    I have a P bass with d'Addario Chromes flats. I can't remember the gauge, but the part of the strings near the tuners is blue. I think the gauge is 40-100 but I'm not sure.
    The general tension and gauge seems ok but I find the G string a little bit too loose and sometimes it goes out of the fretboard, if you know what I mean.
    I'm interested in both trying bigger strings of the same type or even changing brand. I love the feel of flats but I need a decent amount of definition in the attack, so I tried the Chromes first, which I like.
    Thanks.

2. Try the Fender 9050L (45-60-80-100).

I first tried the D'A Chromes ECB84 (40-60-80-100) and found the 40G too thin and "twangy". Switched to the Fender - problem solved.

3. What about equality in tone?
    I have my pickups set correctly, signal is good and string volumes are balanced, but the D and G strings sound somehow different. I hear them cutting through the mix way more than the other strings, I don't know if it's the higher frequencies, more mids, I don't really know.
    I'm sure I took the habit of plucking them lighter to have the same tone, so that's not a big problem.

4. The D'A Chromes 40-100 started out not too bad but eventually became very uneven tone-wise. The 40G stayed annoyingly bright while the 100E went all thuddy on me.

The Fender 9050L is a lot better-balanced both in tone and tension.

Root 5, TimB 619 and CunniMingus like this.
  5. Other suggestions?

I'll get a set of 9050L as soon as I find them at a decent price.
    In the meantime, I ordered a set of Ernie Ball Cobalt flatwounds (45-100). I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  6. Update!
    I liked the Cobalts, sonically speaking I'd consider them some sort of rounds/flats hybrid. Very bright, good definition, interacts very well with dirt pedals and amps, a little bit rougher on touch compared to other flats.
    During the weekend I finally tried the Fender 9050L and my P bass never sounded so good. These are a little bit more on the classic "dull" smooth side, but still bright enough. I need to see how they age on my bass, but for now these are my favourites hands down.

7. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have Cobalts on my jazz perfect fit great strings and Labella LTF's on my pbass they sound great on that bass.

Mingus_Habens likes this.