Help me identify my new killer Korean Squier Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Jan 7, 2005.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Just picked up a great player! I gigged with it last night and I'm totally in love. Amazing, given that my budget was $1000 and I've found love for lots, lots less! I just want to know what it is I'm playing:

No serial number anywhere -- I guess the neck plate has been changed or something.

It has a really beefy Gibson bridge, and Duncan pickups, which sound fantastic and are almost entirely noise-free; a first for any jazz I've played. Also has US Fender tuners.

The neck is fantastic, with a vintage yellow-y tint. I pulled it off the body and see the following markings:

Neck: JBD-62
    Body: M. JB-322 (hand written)

Any ideas? It plays and sounds better than the new MIA stuff I've played.
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It´s a very nice Hot-Rod Squier, other than that is hard because you don´t have the S/N. Maybe someone knows the meaning of the markings on both body and neck.

Good luck and enjoy your new baby!!!!
  3. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, I'm looking for one of those Fender dweebs who can tell me the first four digits of the serial number and the name of the guy who built it by looking at the fretboard inlays. :D
  4. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    no fender dorks around? anyone??? :crying:
  5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Found a serial number on the neck (duh...)

Any ideas?
  6. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    E1 = '81, possibly.

I can't say for sure though. That's the way it is with Fenders, so it would make sense.

Edit: I forgot to congratulate you on the purchase. Sounds like you got something nice. :)
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    E1 is generally 81.

If I recall, Squiers back then were Japanese, not Korean. Does it say Korea anywhere?

Oh, nice bass.
  8. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    No, it says "Made in Korea" right on the headstock.

I put a tort pickguard on it and some new strings. Even better tone, and looks fantastic!
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm, well you got a great bass, who cares where it came from, right? :)

How about some pics with the new pickguard. What kind of strings you put on it?
  10. I have an old Korean Squier Strat, and honestly, I prefer it to the USA one I also have. The neck colours were all a really nice deep yellow vintage looking type of colour.

I guess you've got a great bass there!
  11. wow, i was thinking that was one i sold years ago!!!! mine was a japan model and i'm hating myself for selling it!!!
  12. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The reason people generally can't help with Squier data is becuase not even Fender really keeps notes when it comes to them. In this case be glad you know where it was manufactured. The E1 works with US instruments only (as far as being 1981). There was no Squier series in 81, it wasn't until either late 82 or 83 when Squier began and the production was in Japan with JV and SQ serial numbers. Even of you email Fender they may not be able to help you. It's possible (I have never had the opportunity to check) that the neck heel is dated similar to the US instruments in which case you could find out when it was made. I believe Squier moved to Korea after Japan but some stuff is still made in Korea so who really knows. My guesstimate would be early 90's. Good luck and congratulations on the new bass.
  13. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    I have an `96 Korean Squire Jazz [ s/n CN6XXXX ] , its got a Fender 50th Anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock if that means anything ? Black with Tort scratchplate and it kills . More output and lucious tone than any MIM , MIA , CV or VM Ive tried , Im not sure if the pups were upgrades before I bought it but i couldnt see anything on them when I pulled them up for my post purchase checkover . Never goes out of tune and looks the bomb , definately a keeper !