Help me identify old US Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xtasea, May 6, 2022.

1. xtasea

xtasea

May 6, 2022
    Hello,

I have a Fender US Precision I bought used a few years back that I'm trying to date. I was told by the seller that it was 1984 all original minus the knobs which he replaced. I took the neck off and found a date on the neck, but wasn't able to find any dates on the body. I'm wondering if there's another way to verify the date of the body. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Attached Files:

bobyoung53 and trey le parc like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wish I could help. The experts will be along any minute.

Cool bass.

Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

xtasea likes this.
  3. tb-player

tb-player Sarcasm intended... always! Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland
    That's a good-lookin' bass. Nice!

4. BASS67

BASS67

Apr 18, 2022
    Spain
    It seems legit to me. Date stamped neck, decal on headstock... The micro tilt screw on the heel and the 1-ply pickguard are correct for this period I think. You can also check the routing under the pickguard and the manufacturing date on the tone and volume pots. Let's see if someone more expert thinks about it, but everything seems ok. Nice Precision.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender stopped dating bodies around mid 62.
    But that 5th hole in the neck plate area is for the 4-bolt neck with tilt feature that came out on the american standard model P's and J's in 1983 (before that, only the J and Tele basses had neck tilts, and those were 3-bolts). And yes, those am stds only had three screws holding the bridge on.

FenderOli, xtasea and denton57 like this.
  6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Yes, looks like the last of the last US production before the move to Japan. Cool bass! How’s it play and sound?

I have an 83 Strat in black. Single ply guard, two knobs, solid back with weird tremolo bridge. I replaced the pickups with Lollars and put a black guard on it with cream covers. The neck is really amazing on it! Unique profile so I hear.

xtasea likes this.
  7. xtasea

xtasea

May 6, 2022

It plays and sounds huge, love the feel of the older necks from those days! Thanks for the help identifying.