Help me identify Steve DiGiorgio's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6Steve6Harris6, Jan 23, 2009.

1. So I was watching the video for the Death song, The Philosopher, and I was wondering, what bass does DiGiorgio play in this video?

The video is so damn dark, so it's nearly impossible to tell. But man, it sounds wonderful! His fretless tone is just superb, not to mention he's an amazing player.

I know he plays ESP now, but I've always wondered what bass he played in this video.

2. I dunno, Headstock/body is reminiscent of fender, but so are many other basses.
    I'll see if I can't find out.
    EDIT:
    Most likely a Tobias, which he used to use, and there is a slight chance it's a Conklin, although it doesn't appear so.

3. No idea. maybe a customized fender? Death....great band back in the day. I partied with Gene (the drummer) when he was playing for Strapping young lad) cool guy!

4. I didn't watch the video, but it is most likely Steve's "home made" P bass you're talking about. He built it out of several different parts. I'd direct you to the part of his website where he talks about it, but it is currently under construction. All I remember is it is an unlined black p bass with a j pickup added. Ebony fretboard I believe. Bartolini's if memory serves me right.

5. No way! That's amazing!

Hoglan is an amazing drummer, sounds like a fun guy, too. Kind of like Richard Christy.

You know, I faintly remember reading about a bass that he built, but I never really connected the dots, or lackthereof. Crappy pun, I know. :p

Man, that makes me wanna just tear the frets off of my bass.

Thanks for the valuable info, you three! Much obliged.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haven't been there in a while, but his website used to have a section that talked about all his diiferent basses and which ones he used on recordings... Not a tone I could ever use, but I always loved it none-the-less! Amazing player...

Karl

7. First of all, Steve's ESP days are likely over; he recently got a custom 5er from a TBer whose name escapse me, but he's a luthier and goes by Son of Magni on Steve's board.

Haven't watched the vid, but I'm presuming you're referring his fretless four that he rocked on Individual Thought Patterns and Autopsy's Fiend for Blood EP. It's a Fender knockoff bass body with a custom-ordered unlined fretless Fender neck. Pickups are passive Bartolinis.

8. rysker6

rysker6

Nov 18, 2008
    Chicago
    His green fretless ESP sounded awesome, I saw some video of him just shredding on it, Ive never really delved into ESP but that thing sounded awesome and I love the finish

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Mjolnir? Wow, that's crazy. I used to talk to that guy on the (formerly) smaller and more personal mx.net forum. I remember when he first started posting his basses. Incredible stuff, I'm not surprised DiGiorgio would like it.

10. Great info, guys! Really appreciate it.

I dug this photo up.

[​IMG]

11. jacksonguy95

jacksonguy95

Dec 9, 2009
    Possibly one of his custom shopped esps?

12. Akshat

Akshat

Dec 7, 2007
    New Delhi,India
    Keeping the Groove staying out of Treble
    no thats an old fender wannabe.he used to play esp for quite some time ,however now he plays a custom thor bass.search this place there is a thread for thor bass for steve. thats his bass

13. Dhrystone

Dhrystone

Mar 24, 2011
    Connecticut
    Got this from Wikipedia regarding Steve's gear:

Equipment

DiGiorgio uses a custom Mjollnir by Thor Bass, and also plays custom ESP basses. He is mostly seen with a F-series fretless 5-string bass in a dark green finish, but also uses a very unusual double-neck construction with a fretted and a fretless neck in one body. He uses Ampeg SVT Classic amps and cabinets by Ampeg and Randall.[4]
    All basses except the Ric's are fitted with Hipshot Extender Keys. Strings - Rotosound swing bass 66. Gauge: 110-85-70-50-30. Cables - Monster Cables. Amplifiers - Ampeg SVT Classic, Randall, Ampeg 8X10, Ampeg 1X15, Ampeg 2X10 w/horn, Randall 2X15. Wireless - Nady 101. Effects - DOD: Stereo Chorus, Stereo Flanger, Octoplus, Bass EQ, Envelope Filter, 270 A/B. Digitech: Two Second Digital Delay, Digital Stereo Chorus/Flanger. Ibanez: BP10 Compressor. Korg: AX1B. Keyboard - Korg: DW8000. Soundmodule - Yamaha: TX81Z. Alesis: Microverb III, SR16. Misc. - The Bass Hammer, EBow. Cases - A&S Custom flight cases.
    Steve's bass guitars:
    4001 Custom Rickenbacker (1981)
    Fully Custom Homemade Fender-Like Fretless (1991)
    4001 Rickenbacker (1975)
    Custom Carvin BB75F (1996)
    Custom Carvin BB75 (1999)
    ESP - LTD F-205 (1999)
    ESP Custom Forest Fretless (1999)
    ESP Doubleneck Bass (????)
    Thor Bass 5-string fretless (2008)
    Thor Bass 6-string fretless (2010

14. His Thor basses look amazing!

Check out their website:

Thor Bass - Custom hand made instruments

There is also a thread here about his 5 String bass, in the luthiers section. check it out, very good!!!

15. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    The video is gone but if that's from the early 90's Death, it's his Fender, details here:

"A few years later I got the idea to dig out that Fender wannabe and remake it into a fretless project. I got a replacement neck from a Fender parts catalog and made a weird combo of that Fender P body, fretless J neck, Bartolini passive pickups, Badass 2 bridge and dug out a spot to add the J style pickup."

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021