Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me identify this bass! (Fender V)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomfilepp, Jan 2, 2003.

1. tomfilepp

tomfilepp Guest

Jan 2, 2003
    Hi there folks. I've been trying to identify the year and specs of this bass for some time. The serial # says that it is a 1976, but the neck looks to be pre-CBS, and there also seem to be some differences in a few of the features. I know the P-bass pickup was put in, and that the nut was changed to put in a low B instead of a high C string. Can anyone tell me their two cents on the rest of the guitar?

I'm particularly interested in whether or not you think that 29" is a proper scale measurement for this axe, it is full size. What scale sounds right? How would i determine it?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

2. tomfilepp

tomfilepp Guest

Jan 2, 2003
    oops! here's a pic with the lower electronics:

3. tomfilepp

tomfilepp Guest

Jan 2, 2003
    and i might as well put up the headstock as well, to help:

4. METaLLiKka74447

METaLLiKka74447

Dec 29, 2002
    Wisconsin
    wow i cant believe you have one that bass is vintage. I've read about it and i saw a picture of it, it was originally made to have a high c string, if i remeber correctly it was either 69,75,or 76(i know that doesnt help) i guess the scale is fine because the picture of it showed the bass new with 15 frets and the scale was 29'. It was made by fender so the pickup could just be the same as fender used for the p-bass. I remember the magazine said it was not very popular because of the high c string and the scale so they stopped making them.

I know it just confirms what you said but you said anything is appreciated and i will try and find the article with it.I bet lots of other people know about it though

5. KlaimBassist

KlaimBassist

Dec 29, 2002
    USA
    man, i think i just fell in love with it...

6. Everything apart from the jazz-pickup by the bridge and the switch looks original and great. Very, very nice bass!

7. And oh - from what I have read, the scale should be the usual 34". Since the bass was introduced in 1965 and dropped five years later, 1976 seems like a strange year of production.

8. KlaimBassist

KlaimBassist

Dec 29, 2002
    USA
    ooh, i just saw the second pic....yeah, that jazz pickup is hideous..

9. KlaimBassist

KlaimBassist

Dec 29, 2002
    USA
    i dont know if it would be possible to acquire a bridge cover for a 5 string...but it would cover up the jazz pickup, and make the bass look even better.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Why would anyone put that hideous pickup on there, and right next to the bridge to boot. I'm sure it sounds godawful.

That is an interesting and curious vintage Fender you have there, with virtually no value due to the modifications and the unpopularity of the model.

11. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Its a 5 string mustang bass but with an extra pickup. you should get some pickup covers it would look pretty cool with those on it.
    -Billy

12. tomfilepp

tomfilepp Guest

Jan 2, 2003
    I just read an article that says in order to find scale, you measure from the middle of the 12th fret, to the edge of the nut, then multiply by two. does that sound right? if thats the right way to do it, its 14.5 inches from the middle of the 12th to the nut. that would mean it was 29 inches? is that a proper way to measure?

34" sounds big. :eek:

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is the correct way to measure the scale length.

14. tomfilepp

tomfilepp Guest

Jan 2, 2003