1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identify this bass plz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Loempiaketzer, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    IMGP1071.jpg
    IMGP1070.jpg

This is of a friend of mine... no brand signs anywhere... doesnt feel like reael quility when i play it. plays quite nice though :)
    only 1 knob works and that the volume level.
    The neck fretboard is shorter than my bass.

I have no clue whatsoever what it is... any help?

2. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    could be a Kay of sorts...

3. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Sorta looks like a Burns.

Bo

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Wow!

It's a Woolworths Top 20 bass, if I'm not mistaken. Made by Sakai.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Here's its guitar counterpart. Note the truss rod wheel and the general shape to the pickguard (except for the Burns/Baldwin style split)

[​IMG]

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Aria A-200

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yep, also badged as "Clearsound"

[​IMG]

8. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    it look's like a bass i saw in a book i have :confused:

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I got the identical bass from a Penney's catalog back in the 70's and it was labeled as a "Global" back then...

Mike

10. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    If it's a Woolworths Top 20 bass, made by Sakai... and i would want to buy itr from him,... how much should i ask?

he's not played it ever, it was a gift from someone and he played the guitar and is out of the game... so maybe he'll sell it to me :D

any idea's? does this require a PM for price to me? *dont know the forum rules on this 1*

and it's from the 70-ies!?!? dang... its 10 years older then me then :p

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If the OP gets that bass and takes a little time setting it up and installs some good strings he's liable to get a pleasant surprise.

13. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow, that bass is whicked looking! I want!

It's too bad the headstock is ugly, because everything else is bad***!

14. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    as i said, it plays quite nice so if i wanted to buy it i defeniatly going to clean this one up. now there are a few prob's there...

- screws on the pickguard are all rusted, can i take them out to see what's beneath it and be able to screw the rusted ones back on?

- when i take my "jack plug"-music cable thingie out of it i get the feeling im going to rip off the whole pickguard :S
    It feels like its just all the way empty wherever i push on the pickguard :S

- The knobs arent working as well, but that should be easy to fix right? IF i would open the pickguard it should be easy to see what to fix.

any idea's on how to fix this?

i guess,...

buy new screws, rip it open, see what's dead inside and replace it. Putting some new strings on this one...
    should cost me about 50 to 80 bucks ? or something?

im not an expert on repair and spare parts :( but i think my gues would be okay, so... 150 minus +/-75 would leave me 75 to buy it :) right?

it's getting more and more tempting to go and buy it off him :) even though he didnt say it was for sale :( :rolleyes:

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You could use the inoperability to help you get a lower price - afterall, you don't know waht's wrong with it until you investigate. I'd guess it's one of those deals where the pot nuts became loose and someone kept turning the knob until a wire got disconnected, but that's just a guess. I wouldn't offer more than $100 in it's current condition. It does have both bridge cover screws and they're probably worth $40 each. j/k

16. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Check the truss rod hasn't seized... I've tried to set up a Top 20 guitar in the past and found the neck to be unadjustable.

If it plays okay now, this might not be too much of an issue to you.

17. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    well the fretboard play allright (as i said) i didnt check anything of it yet, but just played with it and the strings seem way too loose but it's tone is good/it ain't out of tune.

Could this be because the strings are probably 30 years old as well? Do strings get lazy or some kind?

I did turn off the cap at the bottom of the strings and about 30 years of dust came to light :p actually pretty disgusting. and it describes the bass perfectly.

a rust coverred "thing" which u can barely call a bass anymore.

the pickups are moveable btw... is this normal? you can push them down on 1 side so the other side comes up.

and i would need a method to remove the rust on the pickups.

i also noticed when i plugged in my own bass this one is giving way less volume so it needs to be REAL loud to get a decent sound.

im beginning to doubt to buy it from him. There's so much work in this one i gues. if he'll give it to me for 30 or 40 bucks i'll buy it. But that would be the max prize for me.

There is so much goop on the bass im almost afraid of touching it, *the dust/stuff*

The truss rod seems oke btw.

but then again :) it's a bass and i think it would be fun just to make it function the right way again, would get me to learn about the bass physics and stuff like that...

now im going to try and buy :)

wish me luck! :D

18. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    forgot to tell... the tuners are rusted like ... i dont know what's really rusty,.. but it's as rusty as something like that.

i think they might stay in tune for a good time but this is mainly due to the rust in them, they turn very VERY hard with shocks and irregular resistance when turning.

*can explain this 100%, but i hope you guys know what i mean*

19. 7tit

7tit

Dec 21, 2016
    Sète
    Bonjour
    Je pense que c'est une aria A200 Je possède la même ,
    j'ai juste un doute car sur la catalogue ARia , il est spécifié : long scale
    1490-002.JPG

20. 7tit

7tit

Dec 21, 2016
    Sète
    nettoyée , polishé et cordes neuves à vendre sur reverb

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021