1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identify this Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JonesyHC, Nov 27, 2017.

1. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi i was thinking of purchasing this bass however the seller has zero idea and i want to know whether its worth it?

If you can help me out with year and model that would be awesome

Attached Files:

2. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Ibanez Soundgear. Can't help you on the model.

They're the lower end of Ibby's line, sort of like Squier to Fender and as such are not coveted much. Since they were introductory instruments they weren't priced very high.

I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred with a case, less if there isn't one. Also looks like a knob is missing, so that's another bargaining point.

nyde7 likes this.
  3. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks mate.
    I have a feeling its early to mid naughties make of an SR400.
    Just hadn't seen that colour body before.
    Hoping it was a japanese made model if so I'd think about it but its more than likely korean made at best so probably a pads anyway

4. Looks like a SR800:

upload_2017-11-27_20-49-12.

only the SR800 has a few concentric pots & a label on the pickups

5. The outputs are in different locations and the neck ends look different as well.

6. There's an extensive Wiki for Ibáñez guitars & nothing but one page on the whole site for Soundgear basses. I wish there was a wiki for basses, besides going through their old catalogs year by year.
    The serial number should tell you what year you have & what factory it's from:

Ibanez serial numbers

once you know that, go to the catalogs:

Ibanez Catalogs

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The model and serial number should be printed on the back of the headstock. The first 2 digits in the serial number will be the year of manufacture. Looks like a SR700 which would have been made in Indonesia.

TD

8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I believe that is an SR 400 in light amber, mid 2000's? 5 piece neck and Bart's. Nice.

9. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi guys thanks for the help.
    he posted a shoddy pic of the back of the headstock which is barely readable.
    i can however make out the serial number starts with an F meaning japanese make so it may well be worth it

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    Hes saying japanese made.... not much of a help this bloke

11. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    the seller that is

12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    this is how you identify a soundgear:
    the bridge will narrow down the years. this is an accu cast b20, used circa 1998-2011
    notice the back of the neck is not painted
    notice the heel does not have the extended tongue
    this is a 2 band eq
    the front mounted jack is also a clue
    this 2 rubber knob, 2 plastic knob setup is not common among 2 band eq ibanez
    this is a 1999 SR710
    1999-05_17.

JonesyHC and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. Missing knob and scratches on the body. Lots of bargaining room there. You'd also want to get that G string wound the correct way quickly as it could crack the nut with that angle on it.

If it is a Japanese bass, and you can get the price low enough, you'd probably have a great player there.

14. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    thanks heaps that looks about the closest to it ive seen he's current got it for bidding at a starting price of $150 so i might jump on it

15. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    yeah i bought an '96 SR1200 12months ago which has made me fall in love with ibbys so im looking for a back up while i clear out some of my other basses (spector custom 5, yamaha trb4 II and cheap ass olp)

16. JonesyHC

JonesyHC

Oct 18, 2014
    alright phase two
    which of these three in you guys opinions is the best buy
    BTB 300 $400
    '86 Roadstar II (inc case) $400
    SR710 (inc case) $150 subject to bidding however

Attached Files:

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Silver SDGR logo usually means MIJ with these older soundgear basses. "F" means it's made in the Fujigen factory in Japan.
    It's similar to this but different finish . So hypercarrots is most likely correct, it's a SR710. Yes, it is made in Japan and yes, it's worth getting if everything works on it. Just posting this to get a clearer picture
    Edit: found a better post, I can't read Russian but you can click on the pictures. :)
    Ibanez SR-710 бас-гитара #513 (1999 Япония)

I can't read Japanese but more pictures.
    Ibanez SR-710 N1B104 - 中古楽器買取屋・ギタークラフト札幌店/合同会社EYE

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    JonesyHC likes this.
  18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Okay, I've got to ask. Why are you adding punctuation to a brand name that isn't used by said brand name owners?

19. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    there's no most likely. i AM correct.

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    lol .okay...I would say 99% most likely, yes....however Ibanez had a habit of assigning different model numbers for different finishes, minor hardware differences back then (but it's the same bass) . The bass the op has doesn't look like either of the stock finishes of the SR710 made in 1999.

Also, just curious, where did you get the information that SR necks are not painted?
    This isn't true - the SR800 also made in Japan has a painted neck.
    I know this because I had one. Here's an example of one.
    sr800.