Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Identify This Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillCO, Oct 13, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    What kind of bass is Kai Eckhardt playing in this video? It has a very long upper horn, it appears to have a single MM-style pickup, and not very many knobs, suggesting that it's passive. It looks to be simple and beautiful.

Careful with the link...it's a 9MB .mov file. A pretty solo though. How he found himself in the Oakland Botanical Garden, standing in the bushes with his bass, is another question.

Thanks...

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I recoginize it by the headstock. Unmistakable. Let me do a bit of research, then i'll repost.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I can't find it man. and it's listed NOWHERE on his site. Sorry! Someone else would know, i'm sure.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
  5. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

That fretless is a Peter Coura prototype if memory serves me correctly. Peter is a luthier from Frankfurt, Germany. I'm not sure of much else becides that though...

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Peter Coura did make that bass, but he doesn't have a company. It's one of a kind.

7. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Good find, I agree that's probably what it is. One of a kind, then. Very pretty.

Kai is pretty special, isn't he? There are some other videos on his site (www.kaizone.com) and there are some good downloads from him and his band Garaj Mahal on their site (www.garajmahal.net).

Thanks!

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I don't know about the make of that bass but player is frigg'n awesome!

r