1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me identify this bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimcarrol, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jimcarrol

jimcarrol

Mar 7, 2009
    You'll see it from 4:56 to 5:02 in this video. For 6 seconds in this 8 minute video you get to see the bass player. And then, when they finally do put the camera on him, you get to see him play one note. Anyway, I love his sound and was trying to identify his bass. Looks like a 5 string jazz, maple neck, possibly Sadowsky MV5 or a Mike Lull.... based on the body shape, pick guard and knob layout, but I'm just guessing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FObjd5wrgZ8&NR=1

Thanks for the help

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is the best screen shot I can get from it. It looks like a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 to me. The shape is right, the color is right, the tuners are right - Still, it's tough to tell.

screen.

3. I agree with the Am Dlx Jazz, string spacing looks like 18 mm.

4. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Here's a different video with the same band, same bass...but click HQ at the bottom of the video and get slightly higher quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU87wmwWdn8

I won't even give a time slot, as the bassist is playing right behind the singer the whole time. You don't really get a full shot of the body (pesky vocalists :p) but hey, we see tuners, headstock, and strings. The one thing I'll say is the headstock doesn't looks all too Sadowsky to me...looks more Fender-esque if you ask me.

I've provided the video, but I'll leave the bass identification up to the experts :)

5. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Screen, HQ, without a doubt that headstock says Fender.

So yeah, just an Active Deluxe V

6. jimcarrol

jimcarrol

Mar 7, 2009
    Wow, Thanks everyone. I never would have put the sound I am hearing with a Fender. Makes me wonder if it's stock.

I have a MIA Std Jazz V (Passive) and it sounds no way - no how - as nice as this guy's bass. Thanks again everyone.

7. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IMO the Jazz 5 is a VERY different sounding bass than the American Deluxe 5. Active electonics, slightly different body shape, etc. all change the sound.

8. jimcarrol

jimcarrol

Mar 7, 2009
    Dark Horse,

Based on the tuner orientation of the bass in the video (5 tuners on one side of the headstock) I don't think this is the MIA Deluxe. The MIA has a 4 and 1 orientation. Per the Fender spec sheet, it has American made active electronics.

The B on this 5 sounds so tight, I would have bet it was a 35" Scale, but the Fender V's are 34" Still can't believe how good it sounds.

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

The American Deluxes were 5 on a side - it's only recently that they went to 4+1

================================================

http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=28&products_id=1144

[​IMG]

===========================================

http://www.topshelfmusic.com/C2001090001.jpg

[​IMG]

============================================

However, it could also be the "Deluxe Active 5", but I don't think they ever offered it in the transparent teal, and the body shape doesn't look like the one in the video. I'm sticking with my initial opinion, as I sold 50 or 60 of them over the years I worked at a music dealer.

10. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

The American Deluxes were 5 on a side - it's only recently that they went to 4+1

================================================

http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=28&products_id=1144

[​IMG]

===========================================

http://www.topshelfmusic.com/C2001090001.jpg

[​IMG]

============================================

However, it could also be the "Deluxe Active 5", but I don't think they ever offered it in the teal green transparent, and the body shape doesn't look like the one in the video. I'm sticking with my initial opinion, as I sold a ton of them over the years I worked at a music dealer.

Also, see THIS BLUE BOOK which shows a photo of the old style American Deluxe 5 with the "5 on a side" tuners. Notice the "colors offered" as well. The blue book lists it as 4+1, but clearly pictures a 5 per side one. I can't remember what year Fender switched them, but they were "5 per" for quite a few years. The one in the photo is newer than the one in the youtube video, which has the old style tuners. Thats another thing Fender changed a few years back.

amerdlx5.

11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    BTW, you might like THIS video as well.

;)

12. Yeah, mine is a '99 and has the five across the top. I just think those triangle-shaped tuners that I see on the newer Fenders are so tacky looking. The more modern molded clovers are a classy touch. I just wish they had a higher ratio.

Dig it:

DSC00089.

DSC00085.

K

13. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I just had to comment on your bass Kevin. Very nice :hyper:

14. Very,very observant,Hawkeye.But,I beg to differ.Not ALL of the strings are spaced at 18mm.Between the D and G strings appears to be off a little by,say,.0000038mm.lol.

15. jimcarrol

jimcarrol

Mar 7, 2009
    You guys are awesome. I love the TB community.

millsbass5 LMAO,

Dark Horse, thanks so much for the scan of the blue book and for clearing up the MIA/MIM question. Pretty definitive. Again.... awesome to have the benefit of your experience and thanks for sharing it with us.

All the best......