1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me identify this body and pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Radsboy1, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    20190413_115249(1). 20190413_115333.

2. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    I play this bass a lot, I have had it a couple of years.

The neck is clearly a Mexican Jazz Bass neck, but can anyone help me identify the body? I have had the neck off and a close inspection shows no identifying mark or number of any kind.

Also, the pickups are apparently after-market, but the logo is so worn I can't identify them. Anyone recognize them, and know their characteristics?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pickups are Seymour Duncan Basslines.... likely SPB-3?

The body? There's no way at all of telling what the body is (other than Precision style) without more info .... like neck stamps and whatnot.

Reedt2000 and DrayMiles like this.
  4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is what the graphic would have originally looked like.
    seymour-duncan-basslines-spb-3-quarter-pound-pickups-xl.

sikamikanico likes this.
  5. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    Thanks - that's a help!

two fingers likes this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Any time.

Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

Cool bass.

7. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    Thanks! I was a member a few years back when I was playing all upright - always a helpful site, I have a student who has been benefiting a lot from TalkBass. Much appreciated.

two fingers likes this.
  8. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    Using those D'Addario Tapewound strings (ETB92) helps me get a nice dark, "woody" tone, fairly close to my upright sound. Also, it's very easy to play which helps the 70 year-old hands out!

Microbass and sikamikanico like this.
  9. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Yeah, those look like Duncans... Also, I'd think the bridge is not original. Looks like Badass to me, does it say so? Can't tell in the pic.

These seem like pretty standard "upgrades" for a MIM bass. I'd guess the body is original MIM. Is there a reason you'd suspect it's not?

JZQuantum likes this.
  10. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    Only that I was unable to see any markings whatever...

Yes it's a Badass bridge and I like it! Very easy to set up the intonation.

Thanks

11. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    I'm pretty sure those are Gibson guitar knobs too, and I like them! Very easy to tweak while playing.

12. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    Well with no markings, and a Jazz neck on a P body...

13. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Doh! Well, I guess I don't know much about MIM basses, maybe there was a period when they were using Jazz necks on P bodies?

But it still fits the common story of someone upgrading a MIM P bass - people often prefer J necks. But this is then dangerously close to the Ship of Theseus problem :D Basically, the only thing "original" to the bass might be the body, which you cannot identify/confirm. So my "upgrading a MIM P bass" story might be completely unfounded...

I'm sorry I'm not much help :D

Ewo likes this.
  14. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    So the neck, pickups, bridge and knobs are non-original. Does it even matter where the body came from?

15. Radsboy1

Radsboy1

Apr 13, 2019
    Not really I guess... the important thing is it sounds and plays well!

sikamikanico likes this.
  16. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

Yep. It seems to me that the first thing that lots of people did with the early MIMs was to put a SD Bassline pup in it.

17. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Agree, huge polepieces = SPB-3.

two fingers likes this.
  18. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I’d have no reason not to believe it is some sort of Fender body. Most of the Squier bodies have no markings. If it is a MIM body, look for the tooling hole under the pick guard, like this: BFA147A1-64E1-4D78-885B-2998233798BA.

19. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    This is a long shot, but if the pickup cavities have a lot of white residue, then the body is probably a MIM.

I had a 2001 MIM jazz and they were notorious for leaving lots of white polishing compound residue under the pick guard.

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Can you post a picture of the back of the body? … and when you had the neck off, did you notice a CNC hole in the neck pocket?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019