1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me identify this bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by byrdo444, Aug 4, 2012.

1. byrdo444

byrdo444

Aug 4, 2012
    Hello everyone! First post here, and I'll be honest...I don't play the bass. I have always been a percussion dude, so I respect bass players a lot, I would say I generally relate to a bassist more than any other member of the band :D

Reason I joined and am posting on this forum is because my dad used to be a DB player, he gave me this older bow to sell. He said someone had gifted it to him and he thought it was worth 400-500 dollars...I had no idea they could be so expensive!!! Anyways, I figured I'd try and figure out what kind of bow it is first before attempting to sell it and making a fool out of myself. I doubt it is still worth that much...but who knows!

Things I think I know about the bow. It is made in Germany according to my dad (also says Germany on it), it is horse hair supposedly, and says "GUTZ" on it I believe, it's either "GUTZ" or "SUTZ", couldn't find anything under that name on Google so I figured I'd ask the experts. :help:

Below are some pictures I took with my phone:
    bDPDch.
    eldvth.
    0aAzkh.
    "GUTZ" or "SUTZ"
    02ddnh.
    Q1OQ1h.
    "Germany"
    sQHXHh.
    poox1h.
    GClKQh.

Thank you SO much in advance if anyone has any info on this bow!!! I really appreciate your time :bassist:

2. I'd bet that says Gotz, as in Conrad A. Gotz. From what I have read the Gotz family was in the violin business for generations, and contracted various makers to produce products that were sold under the Gotz name. Depending on age and the type of wood it is made out of, it could be worth more than a few hundred. Where are you? Maybe someone can recommend a trustworthy string shop you could bring it to for an assessment.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Howdy Byrdo,

The Sheriff is right on- find someplace to get an appraisal- it should be an upright bass luthier, or better still an experienced bow maker/repair technician. You may have to pay a little for the service, but the peace of mind will be well worth the time and money.

Check this out:

http://www.cohenbows.com/Appraisals.htm

There should be some place near you that can provide a similar service.

Best wishes,

Joe

4. byrdo444

byrdo444

Aug 4, 2012
    Awesome thanks guys, I live in a small town called Chico in Northern California (1.5hrs north of Sacramento). Anyone know someone who could help me out in the area? I'm willing to drive down to Sac or up to Redding if I had to.

5. byrdo444

byrdo444

Aug 4, 2012
    Sweet I'm googling Gotz stuff and it definitely looks like it's one of those

Check out this one on eBay: http://goo.gl/XK4JX
    The date is underneath the "frog" is that the right term?

Is there a way I can take mine off (without damaging it of course) to see if there is a date on it?

6. You're more likely to find a Roman numeral scratched into the frog than a date in my experience, which is limited. What that number means I don't know.

If you're curious, back the screw out slowly and detatch the frog. Reassemble in reverse order, again slowly and carefully.

7. byrdo444

byrdo444

Aug 4, 2012
    Got a Roman Numeral, can kind of make it out if you tilt your head sideways:

4VnRYh.
    QUCxqh.

I know it's XX something

8. byrdo444

byrdo444

Aug 4, 2012
    My best guess is XXIV because in the other eBay listing's pictures [http://goo.gl/wJDA2] i posted it looks like Gotz would scratch them in at an angle, so if the last character is a V then the middle one has to be an I I'm guessing

So that means, 24? as in 1924? Any thoughts?

9. byrdo444

byrdo444

Aug 4, 2012