Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me identify this Carvin fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornbread, Sep 9, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I tried out a used fretless Carvin the other day, but I don't know much about it. It looks like the LB20 (I think that's what it's called). It has a natural finish, ebony fingerboard, neck through construction, two single coil pickups that I couldn't recognize, two knobs and a switch. I think it's an older model because it has a three position switch instead of separate volume knobs. Plus those weird pickups have plastic "nipples" where the poles are. Does anyone know what this is, and is it worth $330 with a hard case? Thanks

Dave

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think so, especially if you like it.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a couple of old Carvin catalogs, and in the 1987 catalog, they show a couple of basses that sound similar to yours. They are the LB60 and LB90. These have stacked humbuckers that look like single coil pickups with 11 individually adjustable allen screws. Does that sound like what you're looking at? Also, both of these models have set necks. Current Carvins are neck-thru or bolt-on. The LB60 which has pointy body horns sold new for $419 w/HSC. The LB90 which has rounded body horns sold for $389 w/HSC. These are 1987 prices. I have no idea what these instruments are worth now, but they have the reputation of being well made and reliable.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Uh, just re-read your post and saw the part about 2 knobs and a switch. Sounds a lot like an LB-90.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Yup, that's probably it. So it's circa 1987? For a bass that's 13 years old, the fingerboard shows very little wear (it had roundwounds). I like the feel, but I don't like the sound very much (probably the roundwounds). It seems like a good deal though.
    Thanks for finding that for me.

Dave

6. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    There are 2 versions of the LB-90 bass. The first ones did not have a 24 fret neck and the body was larger, very similar to a Fender P bass. The 1988 version had the 24 fret neck and it's got a different body shape and neck through construction. They all have the H-13-B pickups that don't look like anything else out there. I've played an LB90 since I got it new in 1988 and I think it sounds and plays great, it's never let me down.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio