1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me identify this Guyatone GA-300ZBS mystery MIJ half stack please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadgerO, Dec 26, 2016.

1. BadgerO

BadgerO

Dec 26, 2016
    Tehran- Iran
    Hello,
    I just picked up this SS head and 2x15 cab for 500USD. The head looks like a clone of some Acoustic Control model and the cab is reminiscent of a Sunn 2x15 (with particle board). It seems like it was exclusively intended for the Japanese market (100v). Not a single English page on the whole of the web about it (nothing in Japanese either, only ads. It also appears on gear lists of some Japanese studios and venues).
    One of the MIJ Guyatone 15" speakers had a rubbing coil which I took care of. Besides that, it's dead mint. This thing sounds marvellous, it's the classic acoustic tone minus the noise and the hum. Very well put together, discrete components and hand soldered everything. It has a graphic equaliser at 40, 160, 320, 640, 1.5khz and 4khz. The EQ has it's own thick PCB board with on/off botton and a level slider. The thing that I find bizarre about it is that it's the only SS amp that I know of that has a standby switch (Japanese logic). Does anyone happen to know anything about this mystery stack?
    I'm originally a guitar player, but I track my own bass lines (3 fingers, no plectrum I swear!). I have a good number of vintage and specially made heads and cabs. But I have a thing for vintage Japanese gear, that's why I jumped on this one.

guyatone_ga300zbs.