1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identify this jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jweber76, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Hey TB community, I recently took this jazz in a Craigslist trade and it has me completely stumped as to exactly what it is.
    IMG_20130906_172259_397_zpsa4a6b16e.
    IMG_20130906_211244_356_zpsbdba36fb.
    The neck is maple/rosewood with no skunk stripe , the blocks are decals. The headstock has been refinished and someone applied what appears to be strat waterslide decals. It doesn't look like there was ever a serial number on the back of the hs. The truss adjustment is in kind of a strange place too. It's at the nut end but not in the same position as any of my squier necks.
    As for the body, it is heavy! Much heavier than either of my squier jazzs and feels a bit heavier than my MIA standard. There is no cnc hole in the front (I'm running it with out the pickguard right now) but there is a small one behind the neck plate. The body and pickguard look like they came pre-drilled for the covers, there was no plastic flash in the holes or under the guard, impossible to prove and really just speculation on my part. The pickguard fits my MIA jazz but not my squiers and the control plate has the same curve on top as the MIA and MIM ones. The pots are split-shafts. The bridge and saddles look like squier to me.
    On to the pics! I just took the neck off and found this. Can someone decipher it for me?
    IMG_20131001_185542_864_zpsdbb862b7.
    Here is a shot of the neck pocket. I used a "saturation" filter on the second pic and the numbers are a little easier to read.
    IMG_20131001_185621_457_zps0d00db6f.
    IMG_20131001_193352_zps5a24641f.
    The top number looks like 3500 but the first digit is obscure and below only the first letter is clear as an O.
    Here's a shot of the whole body wo the neck.
    IMG_20131001_191536_098_zps2c97e8cf.
    And one of the cnc hole on the back.
    IMG_20131001_185649_678_zps024d905c.
    I'd love to know what it is. Any help you TBers can offer is greatly appreciated!
    -John

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    got a pic of the back of the headstock to see the machines? and while you are at it open the control cavity and shoot that ... see if it is the small pots ... not sure what you mean 'truss rod adjustment not in same place as Squier' ... take a better pic of that too ... where did you get it, any history trail on it?

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I just looked at your profile .. take the pickguard off of your AmSeries J and see how it fits around the neck pocket, pup cutout, hole alignment, and at the control plate ... you can kind of start eliminating what it 'isn't' might help you determine what it is ...

4. It's a date stamp in Japanese - Aug (can't make out the day), 2005.

5. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I'll try to get a gut shot tonight, headstock details coming soon. The PG from my MIA jazz fits perfectly... The only difference is the cutout for the truss adjustment at the neck (MIA is at the neck/body joint so it's pg has a cutout for it)
    As far as history, I got it from a guy who had no idea what it was. He had bought it on CL a couple years back and assumed it was a Franken - bass.

6. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Here's the headstock. The G string tuner is from my parts bin. If I knew what this was I could get one to match...
    IMG_20131002_145729_861_zpsd06a1ee9.
    IMG_20131002_145748_807_zps0c230ac9.
    Gut shot coming later.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    pretty sure Japan .. they used some slightly different machine heads than Fender US did ... the closest I have seen to these would be the square bottom Squier machines, but the top half is not cut 'square' like the corners on yours .. they are at angle cut and the screw pattern looks different ... you should have the smaller pots in your control cavity, the Japan basses usually use smaller pots as well .. beyond that, this will be out of my expertise ... I have only had a few Japanese basses, and one Korean .. these machines are different than the mid 90's Korean P had ... good luck in your search