Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me identify this Moon bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdr, Jun 4, 2005.

1. I just picked this up off ebay from a pawn shop in Missouri. It was a complete mess. Someone had painted the body with a clear lacquer (complete with runs) on the body and headstock and then tried to get it off with steel wool. Lacquer on the neck, pickups, knobs.... I have it apart and the body stripped and it will be nice with LOTS of work. Before I took it down for restoration I plugged it in. Oh my the tone! Can't wait to get it restored.

http://webpages.charter.net/machinegunn/moonbass.htm

Is it a "Climb"? I checked the Moon website and there is nothing there currently that looks like this.

Also, it has Bartolini soapbars and a TBT preamp and the knobs are 1) pickup volume. 2) pickup volume, 3) ???? 4) bass cut/boost 5) treble cut/boost. Any idea what big knob three does? Inside it is a big pot with resistors all down the side.

I'll post pics when it's done. Right now I'm trying to strip the lacquer off the headstock without losing the logo. Any ideas?

2. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I believe it's called a Climb55-230 or Climb5-230. I've seen similar models before, and they were made in various woods. The ones I've seen had Moon pickups and a Blackbird preamp. Barts might have been an option though. Very nice bass, anyhow.

Regards

3. Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure of the woods. The top appears to be walnut, I don't know what wood the back is made of.

Moon basses are the Holy Grail for me. The Larry Graham style white 4 string I have is just the best bass I have ever played in any price range in terms of tone and playability.

This Climb has much work to be done but I think will be tremendous when done. Right now I'm toiling away sanding and scraping off lacquer runs.

4. It's done, here's a pic and a few other details.

Pot 3 is a push/pull, passive/active switch that when in passive mode becomes a passive tone control. Very cool.

I stripped the body wood and refinished it. The front and back are walnut but the core wood is a redder tight grained wood. Does anyone know if they used cocobolo in these?

Is there any information anywhere on Moon basses in english? Particularly on the "Climb" basses? Internet searches have not turned up anything.

Attached Files:

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    No helpful ideas, but I was also watching that Moon on ebay. With some work, it looks like it'll be a nice bass!

I think Barts were a factory option. I did a good amount of searching on Moon years ago and recall that.

Marshall

6. My guess would be that it's mahogany--that's what I seem to recall from the reviews I've read (in BP?) about the Climb, and it woudl fit the description.

Mike