1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identify this Peavey bass please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5nakefork, Nov 25, 2017.

1. 5nakefork

5nakefork

Nov 25, 2017
    Hello --
    I own a Peavey TL5 - great, just looking for the 4-string "equivalent" -- disovered the RSB and Rudy Sarzo models and now I'm hunting for similar models. What is this orange bass I found here on TB.com -- what model? Thanks in advance, any other suggestions welcome!

Attached Files:

• pv.
      pv.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Peavey Palaedium bass.

3. 5nakefork

5nakefork

Nov 25, 2017
    THANK YOU -- never seen the pickup spacing that far apart on any peavey!

Maxdusty and Dluxe like this.
  4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    @5nakefork .....the Palaedium was made for Jeff Berlin. Check out some of his vids.

Although the Dyna Bass has a bolt on neck, it has the same PUs and pre as the same series TL-5.

5. 5nakefork

5nakefork

Nov 25, 2017
    The pre on the TL-5 is actually a huge part of why I like it - also the humbucker right next to the bridge as that is where I put my thumb - couple these things with a long scale and we have what I need in a Peavey 4-string: similar pre-amp to TL5, thumb rest bucker at bridge, and long scale!

The dyna bass? I was going to pull the trigger on a RSB, however it is passive unlike it's more expensive Sarzo counterpart - and the RSB still $500 from a store here in town.

6. The middle-years model Sarzos with the same soapbars as the second-gen TL-5's (not the 'Super Ferret' pickups . . . ) is the closest to those second-gen TL-5's. The Pallaedium was Peavey's attempt to make and keep Jeff Berlin happy . . . . .

7. 5nakefork

5nakefork

Nov 25, 2017
    Kiiler, I've got a 2nd gen TL5 so the later Sarzo's would be the deal. Great...$700 +! Thanks for the info.

8. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    IIRC the Palaedium had the thinnest neck I've ever tried - almost not even there front to back. A bit odd sounding due to the pickup placement, but it played like butter....

Clutchcargo likes this.
  9. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    And, on another note, this was back in the days when Peavey was doing innovative, great things: Neck through 5 and 6 strings, the latter with double-P (!) pickups, check. MIDI bass, check. Koa basses, check. Berlin's bass above, check. Early 1U digital amps, check. Radial drums, check.

All made in the USA. 'Merica!

10. @5nakefork
    The RSB might have passive controls but the pickups themselves are active. They're sweet basses.

If the TL-5 preamp is a must then don't discount the Dynabass/Unity series. It's a thru neck PJ with the Dynabass preamp. Must say it's good your search lead to a Palaedium,don't often hear them mentioned.

@mysteryclock These tick the boxes for you
    TL 6 (1).JPG Sarzo-Resolite-TL-5. Midibase-Palaedium. RSB-bass.
    Afraid I struck out on the 1U digital amp and Radial drums:D

Caca de Kick and Thundar like this.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The later Jeff Berlin basses by Dean and now Cort are almost identical to the Peavey except for the headstock shape and real (Asian?) Bartolini pickups rather than the Peavey made Bart-likes. The bass was designed to be similar to Jeff's frankensteined P-bass which had Barts installed. BTW, that one is not orange, it's natural. It also came in transparent red and trans purple (I own one of each) and maybe some other colors.

The pickup spacing gives a deeper sound at the neck, the usual nasal J sound at the bridge and a scooped sound with both. The second knob is a pan with center detent. Ebony fingerboard, Badass bridge. I love them but the skinny necks can have warping issues. Who needs a boutique J when you can pick up a Palaedium for $300?

Clutchcargo likes this.
  12. 5nakefork

5nakefork

Nov 25, 2017
    All great info here - I suppose why I like the TL5 pre-amp is the growl I can dial in easily. I don't want to change this TOO MUCH but I need it in a 4 string version. Sounds like the RSB or the Rudy Sarzo would do that. I travel overseas a lot in the band so warp-prone neck would not do me any good. Really just confirming what I [almost] already knew, the RSB or Sarzo bass is what I need!

Hopefully one or the other shows up for a fair price on ebay here soon. So far all I can find is a RSB for 500 or Sarzos for 7+ online. A bit more than I want to spend considering my TL5 was practically stolen @ $250! Thanks for all the info everyone, learned more about USA peavey basses in the last few weeks than I ever thought there was to learn!

13. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Those are awesome! I did actually have a DPC1000 back in the day, and only sold it because it was making odd noises with my (at that time brand new) Acme B2 cabs. Turns out it may have been making those noises the whole time, but I could never hear it before since I really didn't have a full-range cab before the Acmes.

14. jymyben

jymyben Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    do you know what size allen wrench fits these?

thanks

15. I love my USA Peaveys - but the Paladeum (spelling??) makes my eye twitch. It messes with my engineer OCD

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    jymyben,

Are you asking about the Peavey allen wrench? I have one, I'd have to see if the size is marked. I ordered it as a spare part from a Peavey dealer many years ago.

17. jymyben

Oct 19, 2007
    yes, thanks...

a friend had a wrench shaved down to fit a cirrius, we are going to see if it fits tomm...

18. jymyben

Oct 19, 2007
    turns out, it doesn't use a allen wrench, it’s more like a socket that fits over the truss rod...

a friend had an extra, so i’m good to go...

he had never played a palaedium, loved the neck...