Help me identify this wah (?) effect and how to get it

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oqwirp, Dec 6, 2020.

1. oqwirp

oqwirp

Dec 6, 2020
    Hi y'all,

I have no experience with pedals or effects and I am just starting to look in to it, motivated by the sounds in my favourite tracks. In particular, there is this sound in Eddie Henderson's Prance On which I love but I am not sure what it is. I think the best way I could describe it is as a very slow wah, starting open and then sliding closed? But I don't know! Track is here, the line I'm on about starts at 0:15 (I've moved the track forward to then so if you hit play you should hear it immediately).

Is this something I could create with a wah pedal or an envelope filter with an adjustable decay?

I was thinking of getting a multi-effects unit like the Boss GT-1B because it seems fairly cheap and powerful (less than £200 but its a looper and a whole bunch of effects in one). Do you think that would be able to make this sound or will I need a dedicated pedal? Or are there better multi-effects pedals I could look in to?

Thanks so much for your help bassheads!

2. oqwirp

oqwirp

Dec 6, 2020
    This track also has the same kinda sound, I'm wondering if it could be a bass synth rather than an effects chain on a bass guitar? In that case, is there a way to reproduce this on a bass guitar or does this need a dedicated synth?

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Sounds more like some sort of fat envelope filter. Maybe a MR Black FwonkBeta Or a source Audio Spectrum? Just my guess

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I am not all that into Wahs and Envelop filters...but my guess is EH BassBalls will get you pretty close.

5. oqwirp

oqwirp

Dec 6, 2020
    Hi folks thanks for your input, I am listening to samples of all these pedals now. Are these particularly fat envelopes/wahs or do you think the envelope in a Boss GT-1B or a Zoom B3n would have the same level of fatness?

6. to me sounds like a synth, like a tame tb303

MattZilla likes this.
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Didn’t listen to the whole track, it immediately sounds like period synth, not an effect’d bass guitar at all.

Have fun with the pedal search.

8. I think most any filter with a down sweep and a decay or rate control can approximate that synth tone. I haven't messed with the down-sweep on my B3 filters in a while, but I think there's one in there that can give you the rough vibe.

9. oqwirp

oqwirp

Dec 6, 2020
    Thanks again for your replies :) I found a thread where people were suggesting the Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synth can be used to replicate a Minimoog sound, which sounds cool.

I've ended up ordering a GT-1B anyway just because I think I will get a lot of utility out of it anyway, and I think I will probably be able to get most of the way there with the envelope and synth on it.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021