1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me identifying some strings !

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thibaut, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am desperately trying to identify a brand or even better a model of strings used by Peter Denton who was the bassist of the British band The Kooks.
    The only thing I have is a screenshot.
    I can't tell if they're flats or rounds.
    All we can tell is that they don't wear that "silky" colored tip like GHS or Rotosound. And in the other side (bridge side), we notice both 4 strings have a brass-golden ring unlike d'Addario XL strings (E = brass, A = red, D = black, G= green).
    I know it's tricky but if you can help me out, that'd be great.
    Thanks a lot !

Attached Files:

2. Brass-colored ball ends and no silk = too generic for ID.

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    ...and a terrible photo quality on top of that.

4. Yeah I know, I've tried ! Thanks anyway

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Here in America? They would be either factory strings (which, even if the retail ones have colored ball ends - like D'Addario - often do not), or some (generally) low priced generic strings. In Europe? Sorry; you're asking the wrong guy. I'm not familiar with all the string brands you have access to. We just never see a lot of them... But, yes; they are definitely round wounds of some kind. :cool:

6. Ok ! Thanks at least you gave me an important intel about the type of strings ;)

7. DRs have brass balls and no silk at neither end. But I agree that it's impossible to know for sure.

8. Ok, thank you very much, It's time to change my strings and I think I'm gonna give a chance to DR...

9. Besides DR, here are some other fairly popular roundwound strings with brass-colored ball ends and no silk:

Ernie Ball Slinkies (both NPS and SS)
    GHS Bassics (NPS)
    Dunlop Super Brights (both NPS and SS)
    Fender 7250 (NPS, Fender factory strings have brass-colored ball ends, while their retail packages are colored)

10. You're sure the 7250 Fender have no silk ? I thought they had black silk

11. The old ones, made by Fender at their factory in Mexico, did. Not the current ones made by D'Addario.