Help me! I'm a Fender guy but I'm wanting a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    Of course you were. That's why you made a predictive statement about the OP without any reference to your own experience.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  2. I'd see if it is possible to rent one for a while.
    They say you can't buy love..but I've always maintained that it can rent you some first class affection.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    TJH3113 likes this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The clear coat is some kind of UV activated conversion varnish, which dries more or less instantly, but I think they have had problems with it fully curing before they ship them, hence the chipping finish around the bridge, and sometimes some finish lift at the fretboard laquer. The Ric paint jobs are (usually) very nice, but fragile. Another point in the 4003w sweepstakes. They should switch to a modern hard poly finish. Check out this factory tour video, interesting stuff. The part about the finishing process starts right around 14:00.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    kcole4001 likes this.
  5. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone that helped me in my quest for a Ric, and more so one that I'll actually use and enjoy.

The dirty deed has been done. I just got back from Fuller's Guitar in Houston with a 2003W. And I was wrong. It slaps, too! And what a cool sound, so unlike all my Fenders and G&Ls. 8.4 lbs. All the Rics I tried were so cool, but this one will do me just fine - thanks again to all for your expertise and valuable advice!

6. Well how cool is that?? Guy comes here for advice, gets it, and makes a purchase. This can be a cool place at times.

Congrats!!!

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

Of course, it didn't happen if there are no pictures........

And once you have photographic evidence, you can head of the the Rickenbacker Club thread and get a number (and learn more cool stuff).

foolforthecity and kcole4001 like this.
  7. Congrats! I've had mine since the mid 70's, hope you keep yours a long time too!

8. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    Congratulations! Come visit the Walnut Rick Club and get your number! Photos are required, of course. ;)

JMacBass65 and foolforthecity like this.
  9. Poke

Poke Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Cypress, TX
    Congrats! You won't regret it.

10. foolforthecity

Pics they be a comin'!

JMacBass65 and mellowinman like this.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That would be if everyone on Earth was you.

12. foolforthecity

I'll do that! And hey, I used to play that brass beast you've got a grip on there! A long time ago, though

CGremlin likes this.
  13. foolforthecity

The evidence shall be released tonight (hopefully)!

JMacBass65 likes this.
  14. foolforthecity

Thank you for the Fuller's tip - duuuhh I didn't even realize they existed - cool place!

Poke likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021