Help me! I'm a Fender guy but I'm wanting a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I know you're a Ric man, so your word carries weight - I'll investigate. Any other words of wisdom are appreciated as well

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I only just got mine, but I was never interested in the 4003 models, once I tried them. I tried the 4004 models & like them much better.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  3. I wanted a Ric until I played one. That sure solved that issue in a hurry. Make sure you give it a legit test and love it before you buy it so you're not turning it over immediately.

StrangerDanger and hintz like this.
  4. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    4004s are great and certainly are a less dramatic change from Fenders

Ballin'bass likes this.
  5. foolforthecity

Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely do that.

6. foolforthecity

So several votes to look at the 4004. I'll need to find a shop within a 2 or 3 hour radius to find one - sure would like to compare them against the 4003

7. Try a 4003S if you are use to fenders, rounded countours, no sharp binding which puts some off that are use to Fenders.

I had a 4004 and man that was a sweet bass, I prefer those over 4003 models but have never tried a 4003S.

drummer5359 and Pet Sounds like this.
  8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Better you than me.

Go for it!

9. foolforthecity

Man! The hard part's finding a store that has the gamut for me to try out

10. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I had actually considered many years ago to just put a jazz or P together with Rick pickups to have best of both worlds. It wouldn't be neck through but I'd hoped it'd be close enough.

11. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    LIke the others have said, the biggest issue (IMO) you may have with a standard 4003 is the ergonomics. You probably wont find any other model to try out in your area (like the 4003s or 4004...but who knows, maybe you will) Im so used to it that it doesnt bother me at all switching from my Fender/G&L/Spector to my Ric. The only thing Im not crazy about is the slap tone, even though I have slapped it many a gig. If you can, I would:

1. try to find one in your area to test out first
    2. shop online for the going rates so you can get a decent deal

foolforthecity and hintz like this.
  12. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Having just purchased a Rick after being primarily a Precision player, I gotta say I love it. It's a v63, so it has the round overs, but it's very comfortable, and the tone is fantastic.

Snowglo and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  13. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Like Jgroh said, if you like to slap n' pop you might not dig the Ric, though you can adapt to it! As far as folks saying they aren't versatile, well that's not true as I used the one I used to own in a variety band with no issues, they do have tone knobs!!

But, the comfort thing is usually the deal breaker for most, I don't really rest my forearm on the body (I keep my right elbow out)when I play so the sharp edges have never bugged me but YMMV!

I say go for it, but spend a good couple hours playing it to make sure!

Ballin'bass likes this.
  14. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    image.jpeg Buy it! You will not regret it at all.

Bajo Clarkko, hintz and Gilmourisgod like this.
  15. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Exact same thing happened to me. The Ric collects dust.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I played a Ric once for a couple of minutes. It was cool and everything, but I bought a Precision and never looked back. Sorry I cannot help with your decision... only you can tell if it is for you.

carsbybigd likes this.
  17. Buy my Alembic P-Bass pick-up and pre-amp from me . You will still have that smooth , buttery Pbass sound , but with the "Tone" wide open it sounds an awful lot like a Ric ( I had a Ric years ago , so I know ) Lots of other tonal options on it as well depending upon the setting and where you play the strings .

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Ballin'bass likes this.
  18. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    image.jpeg

pcake and pacojas like this.
  19. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Only once have I ever been able to try a Ric; it was a Fireglo 4003 that somehow turned up used in my local GC. It felt great and all; I tried to play "Roundabout" by ear and was way off. :) Unfortunately, I didn't have the extra cash at the time to buy it, and I've never seen one since. One of my musical dreams is to someday rescue one from a pawn shop. So it goes, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  20. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    That's okay...I'm a Ric guy who also owns a 70's Jazz and lately has severe GAS for a Blacktop Jazz Bass! Just sayin'

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021